Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Validator

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwhite

Programmer
Oct 4, 2001
AU
Hello all,

I have a Custom Validator in a datagrid to check the validity of a field in a edititemtemplate. However the error message refuses to display. (Even if I deliberately set IsValid to False as shown below)

I have exactly the same type of custom validator in the footer of the datagrid that is used when adding data and it is working perfectly.

Here is a snippet from the datagrid

Code:
<asp:templatecolumn>
					<headertemplate>Unit</headertemplate>
							<headerstyle Font-Bold="true" Width="100"></headerstyle>
							<itemtemplate><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "UNIT") %></itemtemplate>
							<itemstyle Width="100"></itemstyle>
							<edititemtemplate>
								<asp:dropdownlist runat="server" id="ddlOutputUnit" CssClass="DDL_STYLE" Width="100" DataValueField="UNIT_ID" DataTextField="UNIT" />
								<asp:customvalidator CssClass="ERR_STYLE" id="cvdCompUnitUpdate" runat="server" ErrorMessage="Must use the compulsory unit" ControlToValidate="ddlOutputUnit" Display="Dynamic" OnServerValidate="Test_Valid"/>		
							</edititemtemplate>					
							<footertemplate>
								<asp:dropdownlist runat="server" id="ddlOutputUnit_add" CssClass="DDL_STYLE" Width="100" DataValueField="UNIT_ID" DataTextField="UNIT"/><br>
								<asp:customvalidator CssClass="ERR_STYLE" id="cvdCompUnit" runat="server" ErrorMessage="Must use the compulsory unit" ControlToValidate="ddlOutputUnit_add" Display="Dynamic" OnServerValidate="cvdCompUnit_Validate"/>		
							</footertemplate>

</asp:templatecolumn>

and at the moment I just I have

Code:
Sub Test_Valid(source as object, args as ServerValidateEventArgs)

args.IsValid = False

End Sub
and I cannot the error message to display

Vicky....

"I used to have a handle on life...then it broke

I have the real validation code doing all kinds of stuff which all works fine - but it would never show the error message

So I just put in the test_Valid code and set args.IsValid = False as shown above.

Vicky....

Is it something to do with doing server-side validation? all built in validators work ok. I need to do server side validation as it has to go back to the database to check values.

Vicky....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back