Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Search Form For Lists 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhiney

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
IE
I want to create a custom search form for a list in SPS2003 allowing searching of all items in the list based on wildcard matches, etc. Basically, it should appear on top of the "AllItems" view. I know users could use SP's built in search facility, but I really do want to restrict output to the contents of the list only, and this is what they're used to - I don't want to freak them out. I'm not looking for a complete answer here, just some pointers on where to start.

You will be creating a Custom Web Part Page, ading a Form Web Part, and your List Web Part, then Connecting them.
1) Create Web Part Page - Place it in a public Document Library. User "Full Page Vertical."
2) Open the Page, and Modify it. (Add Web Part)
3) Find the Form Web Part, then add it.
4) Find your List View Web Part, and add it below the Form web part.
5) From the Modify Menu, Open "Connections". This will be a wizard that will connect your form fields to the List View.
6) If you want more advanced forms, you need to edit the html directly in the form.

Yup, it worked. Ta very very very much.

You mention wildcard searches. Did you manage to implement this using the search form, and connections? I am trying to do this at the moment, but so far i have only managed to use the search for exact matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back