Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom hyperlink icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetdaddy

Programmer
Jun 10, 1999
AU
Does anyone know how to make it so if someone creates a hyperlink to your website, it has a custom icon instead of the default ie or navigator (or whichever is your default browser) for the link. <br>
<br>
e.g. In ie5:<br>
<br>
- go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
- drag the url from the Address bar to the Links bar to create a link to the page. <br>
<br>
- Notice that the icon is a Macromedia logo, not the usual ie icon.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
**** PLEASE someone tell me how to do this! ****<br>
<br>
MadArse<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

This site does an excellent job of describing the 'Favicon': <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
The icon (file extension .ico) is similar to the .ico files used by windows for icons. However, this file must be a true .ico file, not a converted .bmp file. Once you have the .ico file you want, simply place it in the directory your index.html file is and viola, your own favicon.<br>
<br>
This only works for IE 5.0 and up as far as I know.

Thanks Wahoo!<br>
<br>
I can tell ya, im going Wahoo coz Ive been wondering how to do that for ages! Finally!<br>
<br>
Ive voted for you and Im sending the link to vote for you to as many ppl as I can<br>
<br>
good luck with the leather jacket!

I'm not exactly sure. I do know that you can rename a bmp file and use it as an icon in Windows. The favicon site offers a utility that you can draw your own ico file. I tested both methods on a RH Linux 6.0 running Apache 1.3.6 and only the ico generated by favicon.com worked correctly. I don't know if there is a graphics app that will specifically support ico files or not.<br>
<br>
Anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back