Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Grouping with Drill Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNeems

Programmer
May 17, 2008
US
I am trying to figure out how to give the flexability for custom grouping along with the drill down features SSRS provides. I have given the flexability for 4 levels of custom grouping that the user can decide at run time. However, they dont have to select 4 they can select 2 or 3, etc.. When I use the drill down in the situation they always have to drill down 4 times to get the data. If the user selects only 2 levels then they have to click through 2 blank pluses. Is there anyway around this? To have SSRS dynamically generate the correct number of groupings? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Have a look at the visibility option - if you set a group to be invisible when it is not required for drill down, it should do what you want

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

xlbo,
Thanks for the help. I tried to do this but unfortunately it doesnt work. The details grouping section is made hidden until the last selected group is expanded, in this case i attached its visability to group 4; however, if group 4 is hidden there is no way to expand/view the details section.

Would it be possible to toggle which grouping controls or expands the details? I would want it to be the last group selected. This way if the user only select 2 groupings that the expansion of the second grouping would show the details.

Thoughts?

You should be able to control which cell controls the expand / collapse - AFAIK, this can be the result of an expression and should therefore be able to be controlled in line with the visibility

You can also control the initial view of the + / - although this is set as part of the properties of the cell in the table rather than as a property of the group

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back