Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

custom formula add decimal places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abslag

Technical User
Mar 24, 2005
US
Using Ms Project 2002
I set up a custom formula in Number format, it all seems to work fine but I just need it to go deeper than 2 decimal places. Can anyone suggest a way to add decimal places?
My formula looks like this (an "if" to avoid the annoying #Error with the Div/0 scenario)
(Number 3= (IIf(Number1=0,0,Number2/Number1)/60)

My info looks like this

Number 1 Number 2 Number 3
Lot Size Total # minutes Avg Hours per unit
50 50 .02
20 500 .42
25 129.4 .09

What it should look like

Number 1 Number 2 Number 3
Lot Size Total # minutes Avg Hours per unit
50 50 .0166
20 500 .4166
25 129.4 .0862

I tried adding a "round" function in there defining a deeper decimal place and also tried various other functions but to no avail.

Any help is appreciated

You are asking for irrelevant significance.

Back in grade school you learned about "significance digits" or "significant figures".

An integer divided by .37 gives a result that is relevant to 2 decimal positions. You can do the arithmetic to calculate additional digits but they are not significant.

(See, Miss Kennedy ... I *was* paying attention!)

PDQBach- The difference between my above example of the "as is" at .02 hours per unit and "to be" of .0166 is 17%. Each of these units will be multiplied by 1,000's or 10,000's creating something more than "irrelevance". With the majority of the hours per unit being in the low digits, the net effect will be significant. A variance at those levels is hard to ignore so no...it is not irrelevant.

Then your average hours per unit should have greater precision (i.e. to 4 or 5 decimal places).

You can only have as much precision as the least precise measurement. Everything after that is approximation. ".02" means between "0.15" and "0.24".

If you want to force (a false) increased precision, you will have to fiddle with the numbers you use in the equation (multiplying all values by 1000, for example and then taking the final number and multiplying it by .001. Once that's done you may get the numbers you are looking for.

Internally, Project works at the minute level.

I'll be interested to learn how you finally handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back