Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Format for a field - Easy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHogan

MIS
Aug 23, 2001
CA
I think I have an easy question.

I have a field that I want to use a Custom format for. The field is a Part Number that I want to have the field broken up with dashes. I want to show the '-' automatically and have them type the numbers around it.

Ex. 12345-XXX-1234-X1

I have the Input mask set so it shows the dashes when they type but it doesn't store the value in the table. What am I missing?

Hi

You are not missing anything, that is the way it is supposed to work Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK

In the Input Mask Wizard, there is a screen which asks you "How do you want to store the data?" and gives options

"With the Symbols in the Mask like this: (6842)83372428"

"Without the Symbols in the Mask like this: 534858538222"

Select "With the symbols" radio button and the wizard should do the rest for you.

The table is already setup with data in it so I can't use the wizard. Is there a way to include the format with the data?

You could try creating a new field with the mask including dashes and copy the data from the old field to the new.

Then rename the old field and the new field to the old name.

Should work.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back