Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Fieldsand VBA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhtChoklat

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
I was given the task of creating reports within Project. It was something that was started before I was hired. The problem is that the person who created the reports used all the Custom Fields that Project has and Management wants me to write the VBA in Project to run the code in the background so the custom fields are not needed.

I am new to project, and I don't know how it ticks. I need to know how to Run the VB in the background and how each column in the Report I am making will call the values that are generated by the VB. I hope someone can help me.

Ed Rich

Ed,
There are many approaches to this, from modifying the MS Project database to add new data structures, through to using some external (to MS Project) data storage.

MS provides sample code on how to modify the MS Project Database (and extend your data model). See Developer Support article :

MS provides sample code on how to connect to a MS Access database from within Project, once you have included MS Access ActiveX Data Objects in your VBA References (Tools Menu). This is documented in the "MS Project Inside & Out" manual" (Part 10: Programming Custom Solutions). I don't know offhand how to get the code to you electronically, but read on...

MS also provides sample code on how to use Excel to format and report data (and hence you can guess the reverse), in the following article on the MS Web site:

Regards
Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the help. I actually have the book that you recommended right in front of me! This was most helpful in my project.

Thanks,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back