Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

custom dictionary problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevepaff

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
GB
I have 3 clients running windows 2000 1 which was upgraded from NT4 and 2 that were fresh installations.

On the upgraded client, everything works fine, but on the other 2 within office the spelling and grammar tab was dimmed out, This problem was overcome using the Microsoft KB tip Q257643. The problem remains that while the spelling and grammar can now be checked, if a domain user logs on to either of the workstations they cannot add anything to the custom dictionary.

The custom.dic file shows in the option to select the tick box but as soon as you OK this option, the selection disappears and will not appear in the drop down box.

Creating a new custom dictionary creates exactly the same problem.

If anyone could help me by pointing me to a solution I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Need a few more details than what you have posted, but,
Is custom.dic checked under Tools, options, Spelling & Grammar?

Is custom.dic a read only file?

Is custom.dic in a read only folder?

Is custom.dic set for a different language? eg. you might be in the US and custom.dic is set for UK etc

HTH

Indu

Need a few more details than what you have posted, but,
Is custom.dic checked under Tools, options, Spelling & Grammar?

Is custom.dic a read only file?

Is custom.dic in a read only folder?

Is custom.dic set for a different language? eg. you might be in the US and custom.dic is set for UK etc

HTH

Indu

When I tick the custom.dic and click ok, it still does not turn up in the drop down selection and if I go back to the tick box section of the menu the box is back unticked.

None of the files in the directory are read only and neither is the directory that is is sitting in.

I don`t think the language is incorrect as it has never been altered in any of the installs I have performed, but just incase would you be able to inform me of how to check the language setting.

Thanks for any help
Steve

When you go to Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar and click on a dictionary in the list, the language box just under it should show you the language being used.

Also (inthe same dialog box) make sure the path leads to the Proof folder. This folder could be under Program Files.....etc or under user profile depending on the OS you are using.

If you custom.dic is located elsewhere, it might be a good idea to locate it under the Proof folder.

HTH. Pl keep me informed.

Indu

from what I can see, the language is set to none on all the workstations, the location of the custom.dic is c:\program files\microsoft office\office\custom.dic

I can always select the tickbox in the dictionaries window, but no matter what language I set it to (I`ve left it at none, and tried a few others) the problem still arises.

I can`t think of what else to try other than restart by installing NT4 and upgrading from that as all the machines I have done this to work without a problem.

Any one who has administrator privileges can use the custom.dic without a problem although, due to obvious reasons we cannot issue everyone with administrator control.

Thanks
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back