Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

custom canvas size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrysr

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
I have an image and I want the canvas to be the exact same size as the image so that there will not be any excess white space left over.

How do I do that? (note- the image is not square or rectangular)

Or if you want to re-size the image, choose the magnify glass tool > right click on your image > choose fit to screen

Hi kerrysr

This is a bit confusing

If you open your image into Photoshop, the canvas is automatically the same size as the image

Kind Regards
Duncan

Or, if taking from another PS image - copy and when you select New - the canvas size will be the size of whatever you've just copied.

as far as I know your canvas pretty much has to be rectangular or square, no elliptical or polygonal canvasses for you!

GrooveMonkey

What on earth are you talking about?

Kind Regards
Duncan

Duncan,
the original poster mentioned that he wanted his canvas to be the exact size of his image and that his image was not square or rectangular, so well i may be wrong here, but I've never seen a canvas in PS that wasn't square or rectangular.

maybe what the OP really wants to know is how to work with transparencies?

GrooveMonkey

O.K. - i understand. Maybe the OP is unaware that having a canvas that is not rectangular is impossible! Gonna be difficult with only height and width input boxes!

But maybe they are really asking another question - like how can they remove the null space around an irregular shaped picture - i.e. a cutout

What do you reckon?

Kind Regards
Duncan

Hopefully they will post again and decribe their situation a little bit more, I'm thinking they are wanting to know about preserving the transparant area around an image (maybe for web?)

You are correct, what I "should" have asked is how to remove the null space around an irregular shaped picture.

As the canvas is height and width only it leaves white space around irregular shapes. How do I remove that?

Thanks!

Depends on how you are going to use it. If you wanted to add the picture to another image in photoshop, you can select the white space around the image with the wand tool and delete the white. When you copy that layer over another layer, the background will show throught.

When the white has been removed you can save it to a format that supports a tranparency,such as gif or png, that way you can open that image in another program (or add it to a webpage, for example) and the transparency information will be retained.

Let me know if that makes sense to you, if not maybe post what you are trying to achieve and someone can give more specific pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back