Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

custom arrowheads in illustrator 5.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

preston65

Technical User
Aug 30, 2012
US
Before I start, I'm a novice.

I've created a arrowhead that I want to use and added it to the ...required/resources/en_us/arrowheads.ai file. By adding it to this file, I believe I'm right in thinking that it would show up in the stroke dialog and I could add it to a stroke. However, it doesn't show up. (This after closing all files, and restarting illustrator).

If I browse to open the file as a symbol library, the arrowhead does not show up there either.

I've been in the file before and added an arrowhead and it showed up in the symbol library from which I could make a copy. I was not happy with it, so I deleted it. Now I can't get anything. What am I doing wrong?

To define custom arrowheads, open the Arrowheads.ai file, which is located under ShowPackageContent\Required\Resources\<locale>\ (for Mac) and \Support Files\Required\Resources\<locale>\ (for Windows). Follow the instructions in the file to create custom arrowheads.

Place the updated Arrowheads.ai file at: <Illustrator home>\Plug-ins\ and avoid replacing the existing Arrowheads.ai file.

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

I appreciate your attempt to help, but what you wrote is straight out of the help file. Been there, done that.

I followed the instructions in the arrowheads file, complete with unpainted rectangle to maintain thumbnail size. After I updated the file, I placed a copy in <Illustrator Home>\Plug-ins\ folder. Near as I can tell, the software doesn't see it.

I discovered that when a symbol library is opened the software is reading from files that are located in presets\en_us\Symbols\ folder. I placed a copy there (renamed it), rebooted illustrator and opened the new library. My arrowhead was not displayed.

I created a new file and placed my arrowhead in it and placed in the file in the symbols folder. When I opened it as a library, my arrowhead was there and I could copy it.

My problem is getting my arrowhead to display in the stroke dialog so that I can add it to a stroke and not have to copy it every time.
Thanks,
preston65

but what you wrote is straight out of the help file

...sure, you must be missing a step...i will post a video guide shortly for you, stay tuned!

Andrew
==============
==============

Andrew,

You are a star! Your movie served to get my arrowhead in the stroke dialog and I have attached it to a line via the stroke dialog.

I noticed that you did some things that the instructions didn't talk about and I didn't understand all that you did, e.g., when you made a copy of the symbol and aligned with the previous copy. The speed of the movie was too fast for me to comprehend completely one thing before another started. Is it possible to slow it down some? I consider it a very useful tool.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Preston

Hi Preston,

More a force of habit the alignment technique than so much essential for the custom arrows...

...as long as your custom arrow is in the symbols library and named appropriately you should be good to go.

...just me being tidy!

: )

...copying objects (that reside on the artboard or the pasteboard around the artboard) can be achieved manually via "alt/option" key + using either the black arrow or white arrow selection tools...simply hold that key down, select and drag to make a copy.

...the alignment is done by selecting both objects with the shift key (with black arrow selection tool) or you can drag select objects, then all you need to do is click again on the target object you want to align too.

...the target object will have a blue highlight...

...from there just click on one of the alignment buttons in the tool bar at the top of the screen.

Andrew
==============
==============

...the other option to align objects is to just do a copy and "paste in front" (control "c" and then control "f")...this will then paste the new object directly on top of the original.

Andrew
==============
==============

Andrew,

Kind of hate to bother you with this, but anyway...

I've been unable to repeat the success I had before. I've watched your video several times trying to pick out just what it is I'm doing wrong to no avail.

I'm working with the arrowheads.ai file in the plug-ins folder, and as I said before, I have already created an arrow 40 from your instructions. Following is what I've been doing (as I understand it):

1. Duplicated Arrow 39 with label.
2. In Library, duplicated arrow 39. The duplicate became arrow 41.
3. Created instance of 41 in arrowheads document.
4. Deleted extra arrow 39.
5. Edited 41 to suit. Left link unbroken. Changed label.
6. Saved File, closed illustrator.
7. Relaunched illustrator, created file and line, went to stroke dialog and 41 was not there.

Have I left something undone?

Appreciate any help,
Preston

Hi Preston,

Essentially all that really matters is that you have a symbol in the "Symbols" palette (window > symbols) of the document "arrowheads.ai".

Whether or not that symbol is on the artboard or not doesn't really matter. Putting it on the artboard only serves as a way of editing it (in symbol isolation mode).

If the arrowhead is not showing in the stroke options after restarting illustrator, then the arrowhead isn't in the symbols palette of the document "arrowheads.ai" living in the plug-ins folder.

Andrew
==============
==============

Andrew,

Here's the thing: It is on the symbols palette (in the arrowheads file), but isn't on the dialog.

Got a feeling this won't bode well.

Preston

Hi Preston,

OK..in the symbols palette, duplicate one of the symbols...

...drag to artboard and edit the symbol on the artboard by double clicking it.

...this will go into isolation mode.

...make edit and double click anywhere away from the symbol to exit isolation mode.

...do a file> save.

...then restart illustrator.

Andrew
==============
==============

Andrew,

Sorry I took so long...

Essentially that's what I've been doing, but I did as you directed (in your file) and the new arrow was on the dialog.

So I repeated it in my file with the arrow I wanted--no luck.
Went back into my file and just changed the arrowhead to a star and this time it worked. Skipped 41 and went to 42. ???

I can't imagine it's the shape causing all this bother. After all, it's just a slight variation from the one I created the other day.

Preston

Good Morning Andrew,

I wanted to let you know that there was something about the graphic I was using for an arrowhead that was causing the problem. I don't know what, but I really don't care about that. When I substitute anything else for that graphic, everything works!

One rule in troubleshooting: If nothing else works, it must be the least probable causing the problem. I was in a state of denial.

Anyway, I do appreciate all your help, although this last round must have been more nuisance than anything.

Thanks.

Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back