Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom ADM template and registry-based GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvanos

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
BE
My basic problem is I want to disable the XP-nag "Windows XP Tour".
The corresponding registry key would be:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour
However, when specifying this as KEYNAME in a ADM-file, adding the template to a policy, will create new category Nuisances, but with no settings ! In addition, this category only shows as contents "there are no items to show in this view".

When instead using the KEYNAME below (apparently it is required to write to a Policies section ?), the category Nuisances is now correctly showing the desired setting in the GPO Editor, but it is not applied correctly to the user...

So I am confused about the exact location the KEYNAME needs to indicate ?
=======================================

CLASS USER
CATEGORY "Nuisances"
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Applets\Tour"
POLICY "Suppress the Windows XP Tour"
PART "Suppress the Windows XP Tour" CHECKBOX
VALUENAME "RunCount"
VALUEON NUMERIC 0
VALUEOFF NUMERIC 3
ACTIONLISTON
VALUENAME "RunCount" VALUE NUMERIC 0
END ACTIONLISTON
ACTIONLISTOFF
VALUENAME "RunCount" VALUE NUMERIC 3
END ACTIONLISTOFF
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

After some research, I found the answer on this website:

The KEYNAME is indeed \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour

but to avoid the "There are no items to show in this view", and subsequently the inability to affect or display the corresponding setting, you should :

In the policy editor : Right-click an empty spot in the right pane and select View > Filtering.
Then : In the Filtering window click to un-mark the "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed" option. Then click Ok.

That's it !!

I must warn you, that this is defined as being a PREFERENCE...not a True Policy. If this bothers you. Are you sure there isn't an option in the default group policies for disablling this "feature".

Saying that, tattooing the registry with this rule isn't such an issue, cause it isn't something you will EVER really want to turn on....carry on.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

Thanks, Neil

I couldn't find any option in the default group policies to disable this feature.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, I'm not sure what the correct path in the KEYNAME should be, to have this "feature" behave like a True Policy.
I have been searching for info about where exactly policy keys, corresponding to given registry keys, should be attached to the registry tree, but haven't found anything so far.

I know it's probably gonna be too late, but I will have a look on monday, check my profile and send me an email to remind me if you want to have a look, and i'll add it to my ToDo list. Im just leaving now, and don't have a DC to play with at home, besides...it's skiing time.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back