Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

curves freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin1930

Instructor
May 3, 2004
AU
Accessing curves in PS 7 freezes not only PS but my system . Was OK until recently.
Have re-installed a number of times -no success.
Use a Pent 4 with XP-512 RAM -30 GB free space-C and D partition. Any ideas please?

I does sound like a memory issue.
Have you checked your memory usage prior to starting PS?
Have you checked for a memory Virus?

mscallisto was right it was a memory problem. A Scratch disc located itself in a programe volume. Thanks from Sydney.

Can someone please explain. You both seem to know exactly what the issue was. How can I determine if I have the same issue? How can you determine if a scratch disk is locating in a programs volume? I am having slowdown and freeze problems with PS. Usually associated with scanning at 600 dpi and up. Could this be my problemo? I am a bit novice at IT stuff. Thanks.

open Photoshop, go to 'Edit>Preferences>Plug ins & Scratch Disks.

Check where the scratch disk is, should say 'Startup'(your by default.
Ideally you would want Photoshops scratch disks on a seperate drive with loads of space; if not, make sure that it is pointing towards your main drive(the one with your OS installled; By default the c:drive in windows).

You can also assign other drives to be used as scratch disks if the default is full.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

KWM.I had exactly your problem. How did I know the scratch disc was in the wrong volume you ask. A drop down box said "scratch disc and windows primary paging file are on the same volume separate "etc.
I did two things:
1. I read Adobe :photoshop FAQ-Tek Tips faq number 229-2082.
Just hold down shift ctrl and alt and start adobe this deletes your settings . It scrubs out all your accumulated recent files .
2.I went to Edit preferences and scratch disc and set scratch disc to start at C not at start.
It doesnt freeze and goes faster
Whist this makes it go well I am unaware whether this action separated the scratch disc from the windows primary paging file . Anyone know how to do it ?

Merlin, the paging file(pagefile.sys) is in the root of the C:drive, you can see it if you uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' in windows>Folder options (recommend that you hide them again after satisfying your curiosity).

You did the right thing though, unless you have a seperate drive (or partition)to use as a scratch disk.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back