Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raji96

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a cursor which has 78 fields and i loop through each record and based on few condition ,i call another cursor passing in the value of 1 field(emp_id) into the other cursor and fetch 6 feilds from another table into the second cursor.

Now i have two cursors ,one with 78 fields and one with 6 fields and the common field in those tow is the emp_id how do i combine both and put in one cursor or array.

my requirement is:
1.Get all from employee table(78 fields)
2.Loop through each emp_id and if emp_id>10,000 get salary details from new_salary table
else
get salary details from old_salry table.

now i have two cursors one with employee details and one with employye salary details.How do i combine both.

I don't know if I get you right, but if your SQL is straightforward, you could do a simple join and union of the tables like;

select a.emp_id...(78 cols),
b.col1 (5 cols),
null "Salary"
from employee a, new_salary_table b
where a.emp_id = b.emp_id
and b.salary <= 10000
... more criteria
UNION ALL
select a.emp_id...(78 cols),
b.col1 (5 cols),
b.salaryfrom employee a, new_salary_table b
where a.emp_id = b.emp_id
and b.salary > 10000
... more criteria

The cursor within cursor implementation is not that bad, it's up to you to decide which one is faster.

Hope this one helps.

You may also use a.* instead of writing all 78 columns (see Rcurva's message above).

No i cannot join the tables since i depend on the first cursor to pick the table i have to go for the second cursor.Then put them together at the end.

--thanks,snebe

You can use Parameterized Cursor. Make the second cursor parameterized: CURSOR your_cursor(var_emp_id number) is select * from your_table where emp_id = var_emp_id;
Then while opening this cursor pass the emp_id from first cursor.
Reply if you need more details.

If you have two cursors:

CURSOR first_cursor IS
SELECT 78_columns FROM some_table;
CURSOR second_cursor(p_emp_id NUMBER) IS
SELECT 6_columns FROM another_table
WHERE emp_id = p_emp_id;

BEGIN
FOR i IN first_cursor LOOP
FOR j IN second_cursor(i.emp_id) LOOP
-- NOW YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE DATA IN BOTH CURSORS
DO_WHATEVERY_YOU_NEED_TO_DO_WITH(i.first_col, i.second_col, j.first_col, etc);
END LOOP;
-- NOW YOU ONLY HAVE ACCESS TO THE DATA IN THE FIRST_CURSOR
END LOOP;
-- AT THIS POINT, YOU'VE PROCESSED ALL OF THE RECORDS IN THE FIRST_CURSOR
END;

Is this what you're trying to find out, or did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back