Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cursor for loops to insert record into a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniorplsql

Programmer
Jun 16, 2015
US
Hello i am fairly new to plsql and i am tring to create a cursor that inserts a record into my employees table

This is the structure of my employees table:

EMP_ID NOT NULL NUMBER
DEPT_ID NOT NULL NUMBER
FIRST_NAME VARCHAR2(30)
LAST_NAME VARCHAR2(30)
INSERTED NOT NULL DATE
LAST_UPDATE NOT NULL DATE
HIRE_DATE NOT NULL DATE
JOB_ID NUMBER
SALARY NUMBER
COMM_PCT NUMBER

Here is my code:

1 DECLARE
2 v_emp_id employees.emp_id%TYPE;
3 v_dept_id employees.dept_id%TYPE;
4 v_inserted employees.inserted%TYPE;
5 v_last_update employees.last_update%TYPE;
6 v_hire_date employees.hire_date%TYPE;
7 CURSOR c_emp IS
8 SELECT EMP_ID, DEPT_ID, INSERTED, LAST_UPDATE, HIRE_DATE
9 FROM EMPLOYEES;
10 BEGIN
11 OPEN c_emp;
12 LOOP
13 FETCH c_emp INTO v_emp_id, v_dept_id, v_inserted, v_last_update, v_hire_date;
14 EXIT when c_emp%NOTFOUND;
15 INSERT INTO EMPLOYEES(emp_id, dept_id, inserted, last_update, hire_date)
16 VALUES(EMPLOYEES_SEQ.NEXTVAL, 10, SYSDATE, SYSDATE, '08-JUN-02');
17 END LOOP;
18 CLOSE c_emp;
19* END;

When I run it I get:

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

but when i do:

SQL> select * from employees;

no rows selected

I tried is this way but it inserted the records with the same data mulitple times:

DECLARE
CURSOR c_EMP_CURSOR IS
SELECT emp_id, dept_id, first_name, last_name, inserted, last_update, hire_date, job_id, salary, comm_pct
FROM EMPLOYEES;
emp_record c_EMP_CURSOR%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
OPEN c_EMP_CURSOR;
LOOP
FETCH c_EMP_CURSOR INTO emp_record;
EXIT WHEN c_EMP_CURSOR%NOTFOUND;
INSERT INTO EMPLOYEES (emp_id, dept_id, first_name, last_name, inserted, last_update, hire_date, job_id, salary, comm_pct)
VALUES (EMPLOYEES_SEQ.NEXTVAL, 10, 'JOHN', 'SMITH', SYSDATE, SYSDATE, '10-JAN-02', 110, 7000, .10);
END LOOP;
CLOSE c_EMP_CURSOR;
END;

I combed in internet trying different things but cant get this to insert into my employees table. Could someone please show me the light.

If your EMPLOYEES table has no rows, the cursor does not return anything DUH!
[banghead]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

An additional word of caution - there is no COMMIT within your cursor, so when your session ends, your data is gone. I believe SQL Plus still does an implicit commit when it is closed, but if you are running the PL/SQL in TOAD or SQL Workbench, it is not doing a commit.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than agile big data clouds)

Things to check:

1) When you run your SQL statement in SQLPLUS

SELECT EMP_ID, DEPT_ID, INSERTED, LAST_UPDATE, HIRE_DATE
FROM EMPLOYEES;

does it actually return any data

2) If yes to the above you need to start entering debug statements into your code

use "dbms_output.put_line ..." in your cursor loop and remember do a "set server output on" before running your code.

3) Do you actually have to use PL/SQL. Why not just use insert into ... select .... from ... in SQLPLUS?

In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

There isn't any data in the table. I guess what I want to do is to see if I can write a plsql statement that will insert data into a table that I just created.

You created an empty table, and now you try to read non-existing data from your empty table and write the data back to that table?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

no I created a table and I wanted to write a plsql to insert data into that table. Just trying to some stuff but i think I got it to work.

DECLARE
v_emp_id employees.emp_id%TYPE := EMPLOYEES_SEQ.NEXTVAL;
v_dept_id employees.dept_id%TYPE;
v_first_name employees.first_name%TYPE;
v_last_name employees.last_name%TYPE;
v_inserted employees.inserted%TYPE;
v_last_update employees.last_update%TYPE;
v_hire_date employees.hire_date%TYPE;
v_job_id employees.job_id%TYPE;
v_sal employees.salary%TYPE;
v_pct employees.comm_pct%TYPE;
BEGIN
IF SQL%FOUND THEN
INSERT INTO EMPLOYEES VALUES(EMPLOYEES_SEQ.NEXTVAL, 10, 'JOHN', 'SMITH', SYSDATE, SYSDATE, '10-JAN-02', 110, 7000, .10);
END IF;
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Number of rows inserted : '||SQL%ROWCOUNT);
SELECT emp_id, dept_id, first_name, last_name, inserted, last_update, hire_date, job_id, salary, comm_pct
INTO v_emp_id, v_dept_id, v_first_name, v_last_name, v_inserted, v_last_update, v_hire_date, v_job_id, v_sal, v_pct
FROM EMPLOYEES;
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('EMP_ID : '||v_emp_id);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('DEPT_ID : '||v_dept_id);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('FIRST_NAME : '||v_first_name);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('LAST_NAME : '||v_last_name);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('INSERTED : '||v_inserted);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('LAST_UPDATE : '||v_last_update);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('HIRE_DATE : '||v_hire_date);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('JOB_ID : '||v_job_id);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('SALARY : '||v_sal);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('COMM_PCT : '||v_pct);
END;

it inserted one record of data into the table.

If you just want to insert a single row into your table, why are you using a loop, and why are you using PL/SQL? You just need a single SQL statement:

Code:
INSERT INTO EMPLOYEES
(emp_id,dept_id,first_name,last_name,inserted,last_update,hire_date,job_id,salary,comm_pct)
VALUES(EMPLOYEES_SEQ.NEXTVAL, 10, 'JOHN', 'SMITH', SYSDATE, SYSDATE, TO_DATE('10-JAN-2002','dd-mon-yyyy'), 110, 7000, .10);

Note that I list the column names that I'm going to insert into. The statement will work without this, but it's a good habit to get into as it can prevent errors in the future. Also, if hire_date is a DATE column, you should pass a date value into it instead of passing a string and hoping Oracle will interpret it how you'd like (especially if you're passing a two-digit year!)

If you have multiple rows to insert, you still almost certainly don't need to do so in a PL/SQL loop. Just use a SQL statement to select the new rows from whatever table they come from:

Code:
INSERT INTO EMPLOYEES
(emp_id,dept_id,first_name,last_name,inserted,last_update,hire_date,job_id,salary,comm_pct)
SELECT EMPLOYEES_SEQ.NEXTVAL, dept_id, first_name, last_name, SYSDATE, SYSDATE, hire_date, job_id, salary, comm_pct
FROM whatever_table_or_tables;

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Chris, thanks.... Since I am new to plsql i had one of those "hmmmm... i wonder can you do this in plsql moments"... if you know what I mean..

Hi

Please note that for single row insert you can use INSERT for values clause
For Multiple row insert say 4 records you can use INSERT ALL
Advantage of INSERT ALL is you can insert records into Multiple Tables

Reference :
insert all
into colors(name, category) values('yellow', 1)
into colors(name, category) values('red', 1)
into colors(name, category) values('blue', 1)
into colors(name, category) values('yellow', 2)
into colors(name, category) values('blue', 2)
select * from dual;

Regards
Garani hv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back