Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cursor and Tool problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3gypt

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
US
I have Photoshop CS and am having a problem with the tools. When I open the App the tools work fine but after like 20 minutes or so I will click on a tool and move the mouse cursor over to the document to work on it and will only get my regular mouse cursor. In order to remedy this problem I have to save my work, shut down Photoshop and start it up again. Then I have about another 20 minutes before it freezes again. Can anyone help me identify this problem and fix it?

The regular mouse cursor that appears when things are going wrong: is it the normal windows 'arrow' cursor, or is it crosshairs?
When you say it freezes do you mean that none of the tools are working at all?

It is the regular Windows arrow, or sometimes it is the two ended arrow that you get when you want to resize a window. And yes, when it 'freezes' (which I am aware is not the right word but it is the best description I could come up with) none of the tools work at all. It isn't my memory on my computer or anything because I have a 90 Gig hard drive and 525 megs of ram with an Athalon XP processor. And it isn't the Caps Lock key because I checked that too. I have re-installed Photoshop and that didn't help either.

Have you ckecked which drive your scratch disk is on - Preferences?

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

No, I have no idea how to do that or even what it will do.

Try turning everything else off when your using photoshop (including stuff running in the system tray). You may be getting some sort of conflict with another piece of software. It's a long shot but other than what barehug has suggested it's all I can think of.

Your scratch disk is a space on a Hard drive for temporary storge of Data.

By default, Photoshops' scratch disk is the drive where it was installed(Startup), so if it was installed on a small partition then the scratch disk will be small.

Ideally (in Preferences>Plugins & scratch disks), you would point it to the largest partition or the root of your c:drive; or even better a drive solely for the Scratch disk.

Also make sure the scratch disk (any hard drve as well) is regularly defragmented, this will mean photoshop will be able to store and retieve data faster.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

I changed the Scratchdisk but it didn't do any good. It still freezes my tolls after like 20 minutes. Any other ideas?

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I have 2GB ram P4 3.0Ghz. Plenty of hard drive space and scratch disks are set correctly with over 80GB of free space. This really annoys me, sice I have to completely quit out of Photoshop and relaunch, only to get a few minutes of functioning time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back