Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Currency/text manipulation (remove decimal) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2002
US
I'm attempting some text manipulation for export.

The input is currency with two decimal places. What I did was sum based on employee number. An additional step that I can't figure out is, I need to remove the decimal altogether, push it into a table, and add a prefix. The ending table value must be text (which isn't a problem). I don't have any problems with the prefix and the sum; it's the decimal I'm having issues with.

The field must be right justified with zeros filling the remaining spaces. Field length is 6 characters.

Example: employee 1234567890 $176.52 needs to read
1234567890 017652
employee 2468246810 $5.34 needs to read
2468246810 000534

I'm sure there is an easy way to multiply the fields by 100, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out. When I try an update or append query (after the sum is completed and before zero addition), a box pops up asking for a parameter value.

I've tried using various combinations of Mid(), Right(), and Left() functions also to pull it out, but I have not been successful. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Devin

Devin,
It's a little hard to understand what you're asking, but here's a shot:

mystr = Format(Str(Val(Str(curnbr)) * 100), "000000")

if the value $5.34 is in the field curnbr, the above let command will populate mystr with 000534, which can then be appended to the 12345.... string.

Tranman

Assuming you are using Totals query and grouping by Employee you could try this in a new column of your query
MyValue:Format(Sum(YOurField)*100,"000000")
Then on the Totals line put Expression.

Paul

Paul,

That did exactly what I needed it to. Thanks!

Devin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back