Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curious XP Pro SP2 / ASP / Adobe PDF issue +/- CSS? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdnewton

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
GB
I know, complex title.

Basically I have an ASP based database running on XP Pro via Inetpub as a web server. Produces a table of links to PDF files on my hard drive.

All works fine, except now I have installed SP2 the links fail - when I click a link to a PDF nothing happens. No ActiveX control warning or anything. Right click and open in new window does nothing either..

But here is the catch - if I then view the source for the ASP generated page, dump to desktop, and open there it all works fine!

Aha I thought - perhaps it is some CSS issue as this was absent on the desktop initially - but the behaviour still occurs even when the CSS applied.

So, webroot server generated ASP pages fail to link to PDFs, but a carbon copy of the source loaded into IE6 works as intended.

May need to explant SP2 if I cannot solve this so any pointers most welcome.

Is it an XP Pro issue? ASP issue? Adobe issue?

Cheers.

All new Adobe updates downloading as we speak.

These are IE related, if there's nothing for you here try the last link.

899292 You cannot open a file on a local computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or Windows XP Professional SP2 when you click a hyperlink in Internet Explorer 6

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You Click a Link

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Cannot Open Secure Sites or Open Links
faq779-5311

Internet Explorer Fix

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

Thanks Linney.

I have worked through all the above - it still does not work.

The SP2 e-mail feedback form is also not working at the moment.

Given a plain html version works I assume this is some issue relating to running ASP files on a local server and linking to files - albeit ones on the same PC (separate partition).

I've fiddled with security settings galore ans made sure files are shared but I cannot seem to get a fix.

Can anyone suggest any work-arounds?

Getting slightly desparate now...

The SP2 e-mail feedback form is also not working at the moment"

Try phoning your local free toll Microsoft number, after all it is there ServicePack which has caused you this problem. Whether by E-mail or Phone the support should still be free, you might as well use it.

My guess is that it's related to IE's security zone settings, similar to linney's first link.

Have you tried with another browser? If you add the local 'web site' to IE's trusted sites does the behavior change?

Thanks all.

Have added web site to trusted as well as the file location with no effect.

Given the links open fine as plain html I guess this is an issue restricted to active server pages and permissions.

Other time constraints mean I am limited to e-mail support at present but if I can clear time I will try the helpline as suggested.

Might see if an IE re-install helps - is this straightforward?

Thanks.

Ran IEFIX - took some time to complete but seemed to work.

Problem still not solved though...

bcastner.

The nail has well and truly been hit clear on the head..

All works now - diasbling zone elvation has cured the problem, curious to know at what potential expense though..

Many thanks.

As an update, on upgrading to IE 7 the problem recurred, however the 2101 code fix still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back