Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curious Question Re: db1.mdb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistereli

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
I've got a curious question...periodically I'll look at the workspace that houses the Access application that I created that users use... at times there will be an additional file 'db1.mdb' in there (and it is always called db1.mdb). Why is it created? And would it be wrong to just delete it? Because that is what I've been doing. Please someone advise, thank you.

Are you compacting the database at all? When you do this access needs to create a copy of your original database. This is called db1.mdb. After it compacts successfully you can delete this database.

Regards,

Ian

Yes, I am compacting it. Shouldn't it disappear after the compacting is done and the database is closed? Today I came across a file that was named the same as the database but it had a '_backup' attached to the end of it. Why was that created?
Thanks Ian.

db1.mdb will remain if the compact failed. This could be caused by the original database still being in use (or the ldb file remaining because somebody abnormally exited the database).

[shadeshappy] Cruising the Information Superhighway
[sub] (your mileage may vary)[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back