Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curious Problem on Internet/Intranet Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsa

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
Have a unusual problem at work. Some insight would be helpful.

Have four computers that
CANNOT
access the web via the proxy server
access the Intranet

CAN
access the web WITHOUT a proxy server (still cannot access Intranet)
can log into the domain
access the servers in the company
get email

They have the same subnet and gateway as the working computers... only difference (obviously) is the ip address.

Have done the ipconfig release renew process... keep getting the same IP address back. :(

IT support is clueless at the moment. They will supposedly be sending someone by to look at one of the computers in a day or two or three. Meanwhile, the users jobs are totally on the Intranet and are sitting twiddling their thumbs or looking for working PCs.

Any ideas I can give the IT guy or even me to try to check what is going on?
Mary :)

Violence begets Violence
Let's Give Peace a Chance!!

Addendum to the above:

A few more facts:

In the one cubicle with one of the problem PCs is another PC and both are coming off the same hub. The other PC works and the one doesn't. That is why I am thinking IP address. Login doesn't matter.

So simply the problem PCs cannot access Internet (through proxy) nor Intranet. Mary :)

Violence begets Violence
Let's Give Peace a Chance!!

Have these offending PCs got Microsoft Firewall client loaded /and / or Microsoft Proxy client?
These two little apps can cause all sorts of unexpected results if you dont know they're there...

SO I take it that SOME PC's are fine, but others are not working.... Its a client, not a server issue...? Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back