Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curious about selling my res3700 licenses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffnLR

Technical User
Apr 8, 2012
US
Hello all... I am thinking of switching to aloha at my business.. I currently own micros 4.9 res 3700 with licenses for 6 terminals. I am curious how/if i go about selling it? I am keeping all the hardware... this is just the software and licenses..

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

Are you planning on loading NCR's Aloha software on your Micros BOH & FOH hardware? I hear Micros hardware doesn't play nice with Non-Micros applications. Be 100% sure it works but have a plan B ready if it doesn't.

Hey and thanks.. yea i have a ws5a i am going to get to test aloha out on. Im probably going to have to get some inexpensive cash drawers to hook to the tm-t88ivs.. surely the mag card reader will work.. but i plan on loading win7 pro on the ws5a's.. ever heard of someone doing that successfully?

The OS is embedded on the motherboard, in CMOS chips. The only way to bypass this is to have an alternative OS boot via a USB. I have done this successfully using ubuntu linux on USB keys, and running Java POS system on the linux platform (Iced Tea java).
It is a science experiment you are embarking on and most POS companies will not have the technical expertise to pull it off for you.
We eventually ran with ipads and multiple RDP sessions on a huge server, IP boards in the printers to kick the cash drawers, etc.

It is illegal to sell the software key; you don't own it. Now, people do it anyway on eBay and the like, but it really sucks for the person when they buy it. Most dealers won't help them setup a system using the software key; Micros definitely won't.

Just two things to consider if you decide to sell it anyway..

ahhh ok... well crap.. ok so not trying to do anything illegal so scratch that. Im guessing i could sell the workstations though? since apparently i wont be able to get win7 on them anyway..?

The rules are weird. You own all of the hardware. You can even sell the server with the software still on it. Only authorized dealers can resell the software license (the dongle). You might be able to sell it to an authorized dealer. I'm not going to advocate you sell the key like you would anything else... But I will say you wouldn't be the first and I haven't ever heard of Micros doing anything more than refuse to support the person who purchased the key.

Good luck with your plans jeffnLR, feel free to give me a shout if you ever have any WS5's that you wish to sell.

Depending on what POS you transition to; each of those Micros UWS's will certainly get you enough money (EBay)to buy iPad's. iPad doesn't have to mean mobile POS, they are perfectly fine for stationary POS Stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back