Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cumulative Security Update for WinNT 4.0? SP6b? SP7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErrolHolt

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
US
Cumulative Security Update for WinNT 4.0? SP6b? SP7?

I realize that Microsoft has repeatedly stated in
the past that they will not produce a new Service
Pack (SP7) for Windows NT 4.0 but does anyone else
believe it is time for Microsoft to refresh one or
both of the following updates?

WinNT 4.0 Service Pack 6a (SP6a)

Post-WinNT 4.0 SP6a Security Rollup Package (299444)

WinNT 4.x SP6a dates back to 1999:

The most recent cumulative update for WinNT 4.x
is dated July 26, 2001 [2001-07-26]:

299444 - Post-Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a Security Rollup Package (SRP)

Of course, with several unreleased patches that
are already long overdue from Microsoft, they
could always argue that they need more time...

September 10, 2003

November 17, 2003

November 21, 2003

February 9, 2004

Comments?

Errol

I don't think they should release another service pack. The product is outdated and no longer supported. The resolution to this problem is to move to Windows 2000 or Windows 2003.

I guess Microsoft figures that they no longer support Windows NT 4; therefore, the security updates and service pack updates should not be a concern.

...just my thoughts...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

They won't. Just like DirectX 8 and IE6 don't work under Windows 95, microsoft is trying to nudge reluctant consumers towards it's later product line. After NT4 is almost a decade old, and you know the old adage--a customer who doesn't buy anything isn't a customer! :)

Yes, and we certainly didn't need this question asked in more than one forum... Thank you.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Yes, and we certainly didn't need this question
asked in more than one forum... Thank you.
Matt J.

While I normally share your disdain for identical
questions posted in more than one forum, I made an
exception because the subject equally applies to
both
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows NT
Server 4.0. Furthermore, since the WinNT Workstation
forum appears in the section "Desktop Software" and the
WinNT Server appears in the section "MIS/IT" I believed
that the information might appeal to both, and quite
possibly separate, audiences.

However, since there was the distinct possibility that
a member might subscribe to both, I was clearly
reckless when I made the second posting. For those of
you whose patience was tested by its second appearance,
please accept my sincere apology.

Errol

Well i think they will never release any patches at all for NT4 since its not good for business to maintain a decade old software. Its like a sandpit once your in you'll find it very hard to escape. Its called "Marketing Strategy".

No BILL No Gates

The product works and continues to be widely used. Microsoft should continue to support it.

Good, if it works fine for what you need, then you shouldn't concern yourself with bug fixes or patches. As much as I hate Windows products, they can't support it forever. People want the latest in technology, for them to develop and support that technology, they have to focus their efforts in that direction. Would you prefer they keep developers focused on NT instead of writing code for their next OS? I mean, come on... Every new version of Windows has tons of problems, and that's with their complete focus on the product, you really want to see the problems that show up because they wrote the code at their leisurely?

Hey Ford, why don't you make parts for my old pinto anymore? (not that I really own one!)

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Updating the server at my client's company is certainly needed but have been reluctant to do it. They are running NT4.0 but need a second server which will most likely run Win Server 2003. Will they play well together? Trying to figure out how to update the NT server ie: just maintain and dowload service packs, upgrade os to 2000 or 2003? Working with 15 comps running xp pro, win98, xp home. Quite the hodge-podge. Hmmmm...feeling out of my league.
Now needing to set up remote access from winxp pro machines off site to the nt4.0 server (no domain) and dreading that scenario. Any words of wisdom or references I can use to make this happen and still leave my hair in my head?
Amy

One observation.

NT4 tends to run very well on new hardware. In some instances, more bang for the buck.

As each OS bloats with millions of more lines of code sometimes it is nice to have options. One is using older OS's\software.

Here is a fun test. Take dBaseIII+ (yes the DOS database)and have it do a seek on 100,000 records. Do the same thing on Access 2000 running on the same system. Guess which one is faster? dbaseIII! If you don't believe me try it yourself.

Of course I am not saying to convert all your new systems to NT4 and use dBaseIII. Interesting possibilities.

Though I use VB6 and Java, VB3 tends to be rock solid on Win9x\NT4\2k\XP and in many cases runs faster.

-Michael42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back