Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CUCM 9.1- callers not hear ring back before announcement picks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

supdude

MIS
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys, I have an issue that's not service impacting but is kind of annoying.
Callers who call into our remote sites, after hours or not, should receive a ring back before they hit the announcemnet options. Callers are still routed to the IVR, but hear a few secs of dead air before hearing the announcemenet. Working with avaya some years back I remember this was step in the dial plan to add/remove a ring back tone. Here's is how the call routes.

[ol ]
[li]Call to 123-4567 comes through PSTN to carrier eSIP[/li]
[li]Call hits CUCM and is sent via translation pattern to xxxXXXX which is assigned to a CTI routepoint and forwards the call straight to voicemail[/li]
[li]Call hits Unity Connection call handler[/li]
[li]User presses 1 for sales during business hours[/li]
[li][highlight #FCE94F]This is where it has dead air[/highlight][/li]
[li]Unity connection transfers call to xxx-xxxx number/or whatever I assign.[/li]
[/ol]

Is there something I'm missing or is there an issue on the carrier side when passing the call outbound?

Any help will be appreciated.

Within the call handler, under transfer rules, there is an option to check for "play the "wait while I transfer your call" prompt", that will give the callers something to listen to, not sure you can actually give ringback in that situation. The silence is the time it takes the system to connect to what looks like an outside line. Not sure what is on the other end but you might be able to give ring back there, but the caller would have already got the silence at that point, so it is probably not a good idea.

Trvlr1 has the right idea here. Use the "wait while I transfer your call" option in the transfer rules.

The issue you're running into is that the call manager is not connecting the voice path until it receives answer supervision. Back in the days of "real" pbx's you could putz with these values in your trunk descriptor and supervisory settings. You might still be able to do it in the config on the trunk gateway router, but I couldn't begin to tell you how. Also with SIP trunks there were a lot of sacred cows slaughtered along the way and I (personally) still do not feel that SIP is yet fully ready for prime time, albeit awfully cheap.

I've been at this nearly 30 years and recall the problems we had when we first switched from channel banks over to T1/D4 trunks, then a new set of problems came along when we went to PRI and yet another set of issues when we tried to marry up downstream tandem switches (from competing brand manufacturers) using CEPT trunks with Q.SIG. Everyone agreed it was a "standard" the problem was there was no uniform agreement on QSIG implementation.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Thanks guys, sorry took so long. That did the trick, thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back