Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CUBE to Avaya (Session Manager 6.2 or ACM 6.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgsmith80

MIS
May 3, 2007
GB

Hi Guys,

We have introduced a GAMMA SIP Trunk into our core Cisco estate, and want to share it with the Avaya estate. How do I go about setting up a SIP Trunk from the Avaya to the CUBE.

I tried setting a simple SIP Trunk from ACM (Rel 6.2) to the CUBE, and whilst the trunk came up, I couldn't push calls across it (the CUBE showed the handshake failed we tried a few different things but couldn't get it to work).

I created an H.323 Trunk between the CUBE and ACM and that worked pretty much first time. So that's what were using for now.

I guess my question is:

a) Is SIP or H.323 better for this connection?
b) What method is best ACM or Session Mgr
c) How do I get it to work either way (specific configuration information or links if possible)

I saw a previous post thread690-1703763 and MattKnight seemed to have mentioned he has made it work in both scenarios so hopefully either he will see this or someone else will have the same experience.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi

You are correct! I have it working to ASM and have had it working with ACM!

As I recall, the configuration was reasonably straight forward for SIP connectivity to the ASM (IIRC there is no difference between ASM and ACM config at the cube end). My setup is complicated by our network architecture and layout. I've aslo go 2 CUBES in a HA configuration.

What are you having trouble with? Can you post soem config?

As for your direct questions

a) Is SIP or H.323 better for this connection?
I'd argue SIP. While the CUBE will do transcoding and protocol translation (and a whole bunch of stuff too), I'd rather stay with one protocol end-to-end. SIP is a whole lot easier to trace, track and deal with (as it is essentially text based)

b) What method is best ACM or Session Mgr
Avaya will immediately answer that Session Manager is the only viable option. To a certain degree, I agree as you can do so very much more with call routing, manipulation etc from the session manager than you can with ACM. It depends on what you want to do and what resources you have available. If you already have (or more than) a session manager, I'd say use it; if you don't then you don't need to buy one, but you may find yourself limited in the future

c) How do I get it to work either way (specific configuration information or links if possible)
Sadly, I can't share my configuration other than very very generically- information security regulations! I'm also not at work until Tuesday.
If you can post your inside interface config on the cube a quick summary of the ACM sig group then I'll help. The Cisco website does have a few good application notes.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

monty - you could be my long lost brother! Scarily similar

Take Care

Matt

Ha i never knew my dad.....[vader2]

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

<Insert "Your Mum" joke of choice here>

Take Care

Matt

<Insert "Your Mum" joke of choice here>

Take Care

Matt

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback.

To give a bit more detail, I do have an operational Session Manager in both my two datacentre's and they are synced up to each other with a connection to my duplex core CM.

Not being very familiar with SM I now want to setup a trunk from the SM to the Cisco CUBE, but am not really sure where to start.

I will read the documentation in your link Monty and see where that gets me.

We do have a system maintainer that does a lot of this for us, but then I don't learn how it all works and I always keen on understanding how the system works =.

You need to create the cisco as a entity in the routing section , that is pretty much all there is to it to get the initial connection up.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back