Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cube editor message: cannot update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniop

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm having a strange problem when I try to modify an existing cube. In Cube Editor I change the cube (for example: add a new private dimension) and I try to Save it. At this point I get a message from Analysis Manager, saying:
"Unable to save.
Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.".
This prevents me to save the cube.

I tried restarting the MSSQLServerOLAPService but it didn't help.

I have been working with Analysis Services for 4 months now and this is the first time I'm seeing this problem. The server is running Win2K (SP2) + SQL Server Analysis Services 2000 (SP2).

Any idea/tip would be highly appreciated.

Thx,
Antonio

I have have similar problems before and it turned out to be the access database "msmdrep.mdb" that had become corrupt. It may be a place to start. It is in \Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\Bin. This file holds the info about the cube.

Good luck

I had the same problem and it was solved in two steps:
1. Installing service pack2 for AS
2. Migrating the repository (msmdrep.mdb) to SQL server. There is an option in AS2000 that lets you do this.

Hope it helps.

Shab

Yes,

migrating the repository (msmdrep.mdb) to SQL server seems to have fixed the problem now.

Thx for your help!

Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back