Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ctrl+alt+del problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaVolt

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
NL
I got much trouble with win98 first after running a few hours its getting very slow and hangs a lot. most of the time it restores slow but im able to restart. But when a program completely hangs and i press ctrl+alt+del and press the end task button the computer freezes and won't do anything anymore.. only solution is to press the on/off button on my pc, and if there is one thing i hate then its restarting.. anyone know how to fix this problem?

Greets,

ThaVolt

What resources do you available? It sounds as though the system is reaching capacity, but it could simply be a programme that's causing it or corrupted files etc.

Try running SFC, and also closing startup programmes in MSCONFIG.

Let us know how you get on.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

it could be a number of reasons,
is the computer overheating this happens with the amd athlon processors if they have not got enough cooling. i have found quite a few manufacturers don't put proper heat sink and fans on the chips.
the ram could be faulty, if you have 2 strips of ram try taking one out to see the problem happens again if so take out the other and put in the 1st one taken out. also if the strips of ram are of different speeds ie 66mhz,100mhz and 133mhz some boards dont like mismatched ram.
it could be a program running in the background try ctrl,alt and delete and end task on everything except explorer and systray and see how it goes if its okay you'll have to go through end task and leave something else in each time to find out what program is causing all the hassle.
hope this is of some help

thanx for the fast reply im running an amd athlon processor indeed, but when the program causes im usually not running much..: MSN Messenger, Kazaa Lite, Internet Explorer, Norton Antivirus and that about it.. and with the ctrl+alt+del thing it doesn't matter wich program i endtask it always freezes except for DirectCD..

Greetings,

Thavolt

It does sound like a resource problem to me. If you try to 'end task' on MSN Messenger and Kazaa right after startup does it still freeze? Go into msconfig's startup tab (start--run--msconfig) and uncheck DirectCD then ok out and restart. I wouldn't think that needs to be running all the time using up resources. What else is checked there in msconfig? If you leave Messenger, DirectCD and Kazaa shutdown does it still get slow after awhile? Test and see.

The list of files from the start up tab:

MSNMSG
Scanregistry
Taskcontrol
Systemtray
Loadpowerprofile
EM_EXEC
CPQEASYACC *
EACLEAN *
Compaq internet setup *
Cisrvr Program *
EnsoniqMixer
3dfx Tools
Stillmagemonitor
LoadQM
Messengerplus
$Enternet
NAVagent
Schedulingagent
HC Reminder
sagent2exepath
scriptblocking
machine debug manager
Office startup
Epson status monitor 3 environment check 2
Kazaa Lite

The things marked with a * are witm my compaq computer i dont know what exactly this stuff does only the easyaccessupport can uncheck those too? i dont know all these programs and dlls maybe u can give me an explanation on what all these things are?

Thnx a lot,

Thavolt

Jeeeez! You've got more startups than I've got programmes...............25 in the startup!!!!!

Only joking.....I was "cleaning" a PC for a friend last weekend and he had more than that. Anyway, start disabling them from START-RUN type in MSCONFIG-ENTER-STARTUP uncheck ALL but systemtray and scanreg, APPLY-OK-REBOOT.

Now I think I'm right in saying that messenger (MSMSG) will have to be disabled from the programme under OPTIONS.

Hopefully that should make a difference.

Let us what happens.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Just to add, I suggest you leave 'NAVagent' and 'scriptblocking' checked. They're for Norton antivirus which you want to have running. Stillmagemonitor (stimon.exe) can be unchecked if you don't use the buttons on your scanner assuming you have one. If you use those buttons then stimon may need to be running or those buttons might not work. But you could still uncheck it. But then if you go to use your scanner buttons you would first need to find stimon.exe and doubleclick on it so it's running. EM_EXEC is for your Logitech mouse. If all you use are the basic buttons and the scroll wheel then you can uncheck EM_EXEC. If you use the other features of the mouse's software then that needs to be checked. Most everything else you have listed there can be unchecked but leave ScanRegistry checked always. It's what backs up your registry at startup.

This link...

...will tell you what those items you listed are and if they need to be checked in msconfig. If some don't appear there then you can search using a search engine like
At this link you can download that entire list as an .htm file so you can view it offline. It's handy to have...

Thavolt, do as Crusty suggests. Remember fellows this is a test to see if this is the problem, jackha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back