Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSV with Null Export Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bry12345

Programmer
Mar 3, 2002
US
I am trying to export a CSV file with data from a table. The purpose of this export is to produce a file in a format for uploading to a mainframe. Scattered throughout the table are fields whose values are NULL. The problem that I am having is that Access only delimits NULL fields in the .csv with commas, and only uses the double quotes as a text delimiter. For the mainframe, I need ALL fields to be enclosed in double quotes, even if null.

For example,

I get: "a","b",,"d",,"f",,
I need: "a","b","","d","","f","",

Any suggestions are appreciated.

- - - -

Bryan

change your export source from table to query, and force the double quotes with IIfs.

For each field name select:

fieldnamex: IIf(fieldname is null, """", fieldname)

This will mess with your fieldnames though, as you will need to call it fieldnamex...

HTH,

Alex

It's a magical time of year in Philadelphia. Eagles training camp marks the end of another brutal season of complaining about the Phillies.

Thanks. I'm actually exporting through a query, so this should work. However, I getting an 'operator missing' error in the SQL statement.

From a test database, checking for nulls in field 'three':

SELECT tblMain.one, tblMain.two, tblMain.three: IIF(three is null,"""",three)
FROM tblMain;

returns the 'operator missing' error.

TFTH!

- - - -

Bryan

Problem solved. AlexCuse put me on the right track. I didn't exactly use his solution, as I encountered an IIF syntax issue that I couldn't resolve quickly. (Another one of those 'emergency' projects!)

I forced the " " in the export by preceeding it with action queries:

- - -
Dim strSQL As String

'sample query
strSQL = "UPDATE tblMain " & _
"SET tblMain.one = ' ' " & _
"WHERE tblMain.one Is Null "

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
- - -

This replaced the nulls with spaces, which then exported surrounded by double quotes.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks, AlexCuse

- - - -

Bryan

For me, a simpler way is to use the Nz function in your exported query.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back