Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSV export on multilevel content 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

serializer

Programmer
May 15, 2006
SE
So, this is not really a c# question but as I am going to create a CSV file or similar from c# I post this here anyway.

I have some data that end user wants in a CSV file. Each entry has a parent node data and zero or more child node data. For example, parent node might contain

Name, Id, Date

While child node might contain:

Name, ChildId

So, what I am searching for, is that if there is standard to represent multi level data in CSV. I mean, in XML I can easily create sub nodes but what is the best way to do this in CSV so I can create a script that extract this data without any confusion of what is parent and child data?

In XML this might look like:
XML:
<Parent Name="name1">
<Child Name="ChildName1"></Child>
<Child Name="ChildName2"></Child>
</Parent>

<Parent Name="name2">
<Child Name="ChildName1"></Child>
<Child Name="ChildName2"></Child>
</Parent>

hi,

Include a field that identifies each record type, where, for instance the parent level might be identified as 1 and the child as 2 and some other detail level type might be 3, etc.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back