Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS Validation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamedTech

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
GB
Hello Guys,

I'm sure this is a bit of a newbie question but i've not been working with CSS very long, everything seems to be working fine apart from when i attempt to validate.

Firstly i dont get any Error messages from the validator, only a few level 1 warnings about not having a color with my background-color. Do i really have to put a color attribute with every class i put a background color too?

Secondly i tells be "To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse tree." what does this mean? is this refering to my warning messages or somthing else?

Thanks guys,

Rob

Re. the first - They're simply warnings. They don't mean your CSS is invalid, just that there are things you might want to check, in case they are causing problems.

Re. the second, it means your HTML is not valid. You should validate that using an HTML validator such as this one:
Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks for that Can,

I suspected as much with the first point.

The second point is a little confusing as my HTML validates perfrectly well without any issues.

And it kicks up that erroer even when i go directly to the w3 CSS validator page and upload just my css file.

any other idea?

Rob

It is not an error it is just a statement telling you to make sure your html is valid.

Ah .. understood ... so long as i can stick a little jobbie on the foot of my site i'm quite happy.

Thanks guys,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back