Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS Positioning Crap in Opera in Firefox - great in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modica82

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have been having problems with some positioning issues, The site looks great in IE, but in Opera and Firefox nothing seems to work. The link below is to a page that has this problem. When i remove the "Request More Information " box the page formats correctly in all browsers, with this box in, i recieve crap formatting in Opera and Mozilla?

Any know what i need to do??

Thanks,

Rob

---------------------------------------

I'd start by putting a complete DOCTYPE in. See here for a list:

You would probably want this one:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">[/URL]

You might find that you have to rework some CSS, but you'll be more likely to get consistent results across browsers.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Hi Dan,

Have done that, and it seems to mess it up in IE too now. but the behaviour is still different accross the browsers, i am still getting the formatting issues in Opera and Netscape, i have not uploaded, but this beginning to fustrate now.

Rob

---------------------------------------

I can't see any tabular data here. Also, the page is not really that hard to code correctly. After you have added the doctype, your page will look almost identical in IE6 and other browsers. If you're using (and have to support) ancient IEs like 5.0 or 5.5, you will need to tweak it for them, but you should start with FF and Opera and correct mistakes that arise in IE. Ask specific questions that bother you on the website and we will help you with them.

Rob,

When you try the other browers - are they on the same monitor?
Such as are you using computer A for IE
and computer B for whatever
Or are the browers on the same PC and thus the same monitor resolution?

Open your site in FF, then use the Developer's toolbar to dislay the outline of the divs. At least from there you can see the extent of the problem caused by using spacer gifs instead of CSS positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back