Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS or Tables Layout question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlg

Programmer
Jun 23, 2004
US
I need to present some information on a web page. It will be about 8 columns of data with headings.

The data needs to stay directly below it's heading.

Do you think I should use CSS with DIV's and SPAN's to implement this?

Or should I just use a TABLE with TR's and TH's

Thanks for the info

Carl

You speak of columns. I would float 8 divs, give them h1 (or applicable) heading at the top and then paragraphs of text below. Of course, I might be interpreting your idea differently and your solution could be more of a table. But if it is a heading on each column and then a bunch of text, I would say floats are more likely it than a table.

You can still use CSS with tables and <tr>, and is actually recommended.

Is your data tabular data?

Like columns in a spreadsheet? With titles, and then data in rows underneath? or are they just plain columns of data that have no relation to each other?

Producing 8 columns using DIV's would not be very hard. Of course if its tabular data, there really is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Can you give us an example of the kind of data that will be displayed?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Name, address, phone number, dob,

Something like that, but with headers like in a spreadsheet

Then you are looking at tabular data, or something very close to it.

You can produce a table, and then style it using CSS.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back