Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS menu height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xombii

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
US
I'm transitioning a site from HTML to XHTML 1.0 Transitional w/ CSS and have hit a snag.
I've found that with tables, my left column menu runs the length of the screen. If the right column content is longer than the menu, I get blank space on the left with my menu's background color.
Using CSS, my left column menu stops after the last link. If my right side content is longer, the remainder appears beneath the menu.
Is there any way to have my left column menu take up 100% of the screen area? I've tried 'height: 100%;' in my style sheet, but it doesn't seem to do anything, with or without a <div> containing element.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I'll check back tomorrow morning.

Instead of just having the left column and the content on the right, keep it the same, but nest those two divs in another....like:

<div>
<div>replace this with the menu div....</div>
<div>replace this with the centent div....</div>
</div>

And then 100% as the hieght should work.

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church
Reference Guides

Well, nesting those two divs in another div didn't work. I tried various methods and nothing seems to extend the menu column any further than the last link or any amount of padding I set.
Any other ideas? Anyone?

Well, an afternoon of Googling and I have found a fix. It's kind of an &quot;illusion&quot; but it does what the client wanted and gets me out of a rut. All CSS, no tables and no real positioning code either.

Here's a link:
Hope this helps someone else navigate the same problem.
X~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back