Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS Gurus please oh please help me! bold font issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzr

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
US
So I have a web page and I'm trying to use css -- very very basic styles so I didn't even bother making seperate styles for IE, N4, Mac, PC... It was all good until the client tripled the text put into the same amount of space and wants different words bold...

you can see the styles at
and then this page as an example....

in IE on PC it's fine, in N4 on Mac & PC the bold doesn't show :( any help and i would be so so thankful!!!!
i have tried everything! i read that bold wont show in CSS if the font is too small - not enough pixels to render so i went backwards and used font tage -- face=arial... and size=-6 and still the <b>...</b> wouldn't make anything bold!

and they want the text to fit in the page so this page has to go down a point size:

i'm so frustrated... :(

I guess the first thing to do would be to finish the last class:

.hugebold{font-family:Arial, Verdana,

The missing closing curly braket can really play games with browsers. Apart from that I'd just do some tests and try so make a very simple page with only one class...the one that's causing you problems, and see what you can do to fix it.

Also, usually text sizes are represented in points (i.e. font-size : 12pt;), not pixels, you could try that and see what happens.

Good luck,
AB

oopsie on the that class....

i got rid of that and played with it with no luck.

the only thing that seems to work is if i make the font-weight:600; instead of &quot;bold&quot; but that doesn't work on mac...

does anyone know why it wouldn't work as far as <font size=...> and <b> tag??

i use pt instead of px for more control over the browser settings - i have researched and still haven't gotten which is best figured out. i'm so tired of supporting N4 !

Does it NEED to work in N4??

Try
Code:
<strong>
instead of
Code:
<b>
&quot;might&quot; work, but I gave up on N4 about 2 years ago ;-)

<!--#sig value=''É'' url='' -->

Try adding this to your CSS:

Code:
b { font-weight: bold; }

It may look redundant, but I had luck getting this to make 'b' tags appear properly back in the days of NN4 (how these memories come flooding back!)...

Ditch NN4 - it's sooooo old! ;o)

Dan

thanks so much for the replies!
i tried <strong>, i will try the b { font-weight: bold; }
that's something new....

my client uses N4 and business partner... i use Netscape messenger for email but never browse in it.
i cannot stand N4 and have never been able to Not support it! the time has come. this website is the last one.... arrgghh...

does anyone know a good website with US/worldwide stats on % people using IE on pc, IE on Mac, Mozilla etc...???
I need ammunition to convince my business partner!

This seems to be a common discussion - how far back (in browser terms) should I still support.

This will give you an idea of browser stats.

I tell my clients that if they want all singing / all dancing sites, fast xml access etc, then stop restricting what I can do by asking to support nn4 / ie3 etc.

I know people on here disagree, but what is the point of learning new technologies if you can't use them.

Hope this helps

Simon

Great, thanks! I found that page months ago and lost the link...

I like this Simon: &quot;what is the point of learning new technologies if you can't use them.&quot;

I'm a Mac developer (when I'm at home). If the point size (pixel size, em size, font size) is too small (10px I think is the smallest) then bold will not show on NN (old versions). I don't know whether that is the case now (it runs like a hog on my hardware so I don't bother opening it much any more).

There are no special tricks to make it work for the Mac NN4 combination. Sorry for the bad news :(

Jeff

well i was kind of thinking that was the case...

to be honest, it's kind of good news since now i can stop looking for a solution :-\

But then again - if microsoft are listening - it applies to them as well, how about developing an internet explorer browser for a mac that supports xml!!

Now that would be nice.

Can't see it happening though.

there must be a way to show bold somehow?? anyone on a mac that can help out?

it shows on this page on mac:
:(

i'm considering getting Net Mechanic's Browser Photo to test browser display differences - any opinions?

OK... sorry for the delay. I'm at home now and have tested this on a Mac in IE 5.17 and NN 4.73 (old I know).

I ripped your code and stylesheet locally, and viewed the site in both. As you posted, Netscape makes no attempt to bold the text.

I changed your CSS definition for class .bold to use font-weight:bold instead of 600. I then refreshed both browsers... and saw the text bolded nicely in both.

I then went on to test everything I had locally. If you swap font-weight from 600 to bold, then it works in the following browsers running on MacOS9: NN 4.73, NN 6.2, NN 7.02, IE 4.01, IE 4.5, IE 5.0, IE 5.17.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

You rule Jeff! Thanks so much.

I'll try it out tomorrow since I'm already cross-eyed from looking at this screen too much.

I had tried using 'bold' instead of the '600' at one point but can't remember what the problem was -- I think maybe NN4 on PC. I have done so many different combinations so maybe now it will work.

I really appreciate your doing all that!!

uhmm... try this...

b { font-weight: bolder; }

you could even nest your <b> tags this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back