Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

css dilema - ie 5.2 mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitterpants

Programmer
Sep 13, 2002
US
im having severe trouble w/using CSS for positioning on a site im working on. it works quite well in opera on my mac, and it seems to work just as well in mozilla and IE on a windows machine. however, it all goes to poo in IE on mac (os 10.2)
for those of you that know a lot about CSS and are willing to help, all the details of the problem as well as links to the page and the source files are located here:

the page in question is here:

thanks a bunch.

jen

Well, I've been looking for an explanation for a similar problem and noticed your post. This may not be the answer, but I have a suggestion that you might try.

I was able to get IE5.1 on the mac to stop scrambling my left menu bar by removing the "height" specification from the div tag. (I noticed you have #brushmenu height="83") Try leaving the height undefined, and letting the table or text of your menu cause it to expand as necessary.

Hope this helps you.

thanks for the tip. the height wasnt really the issue though. it turns out that linebreaks inside a div will cause it to be rendered w/a line break in IE mac. i rewrote the code so that it is as follows:

<div...<span...</span...<span...</span...</div

then a line break. its beautiful now and keeps all the formatting specified in the CSS file.

its kinda annoying that something as silly as a linebreak inside the html file will cause this. it reminds me of someone i knew who wrote all of his html in one line, never using a hard return while writing it. i guess that wasnt so silly of him to do afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back