Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS book, suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaRNCaT

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
NZ
Hi,
I've decided I need a serious reference book, preferably written starting with the real basics, but with advanced CSS2 as well.
Does anyone have any books they would recommend?

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Honestly, instead of spending any money on a CSS book, you should find everything that you need here:

-----------------------------------------------
"The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting sight in the entire universe."
-Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I really want a book so I don't have to sit in front of the computer to read it, as I work all day on the computer, I really enjoy getting away and reading instead.
I will check out both those links though, thanks.

Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

I'm with you, mate - online resources are very useful, but you can't beat a good book!

For CSS, the O'Reilly book on the subject, by Eric Meyer, is pretty good as a primer and a reference (I'm a big fan of all their books).

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Every CSS book written by Eric Meyer is the best CSS books you can get. His book for general reference and beginners is called "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide 2nd Edition" (ISBN:1565926226). His other books are more advanced.

Just wanted to add my vote to Eric Meyer's "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide 2nd Edition". It is well written (i.e. easy read I found) very informative and actually show me quite a few new things outside of CSS (HTML,DHMTL, Fonts, Graphics etc..)

Toodles,

Steve Dingle
D&S Business Solutions Ltd
London, UK

Eric Meyer for King!

He is (IMNSHO, and that of others) the Grand Vizier of all things CSS related.

His meyerweb.com web site is also very interesting.

I suppose everyone on earth has had a gander at the Complex Spiral Demo, but if you haven't (and you have a standards compliant browser), take a peek at:

There's a lot of stuff there, and most of it works only with standards-compliant browsers... hint: that doesn't include IE.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

thanks everybody, I'll be sure to check out all the books/ authors mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back