Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS3 Mail Merge - Multiple Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffian

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
I understand how to do the mail merge function in CS3. The roadblock I'm at is that I need to merge over 5,000 records and the csv file is set up so that multiple names are "tied" to the same ID. (e.g.,
ID Credit
1, John Smith
1, Joe Pains
1, Sally Data
2, Gertrude Davis
2, Darcy Person
3, Robb Christen
etc.)
I want a new record (or page) when the ID number changes. The results I am getting now is that a new record (page) is generated for every corresponding row in the csv file.

Record (page)1
1, John Smith
Record (page) 2
1 Joe Pains
Record (page) 3
Sally Data

Logically this dilemna seems that it would have a solution, but I can't get my head set to figure it out. Anyone?
FYI - I have the xls file and can sort/create lists.

...i think this might be a tad beyond indesigns capabilities, i can't think of a way to automate this in indesign other than finding a way to prep the excel file before import...

...this might mean however having many different excel files, and many different indesign documents...

...so yes, tricky one...

...indata may have a solution, but it costs a few quid:

Andrew

Andrew:

Thank you for your response. I'm going the way of xml. This appears to be more suited to what I need.

ruffian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back