Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS3 and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2229

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
US
CS3 runs really well on my 8.1 laptop. I am wondering if CS3 will run on Windows 10?

Just like every Windows roll-out, the hype is always on the new gadgets and apps, but often there are the inevitable hiccups with existing software and hardware.

I may not want to upgrade to 10 if I can't use my existing software and printers. I'm sorry, but Cortana is not that useful.

Daniel

I've tried several existing programs and one printer so far.

On the printer, I've got an Epson Workforce WF3540, only 2 years old I guess, so it may not be a good example, but it was installed by Windows without my installing any drivers/software from the manufacturer. I've not tested scanning, but it does see that it's an all-in-one already.

I had a couple hiccups with drivers/device software so far on an Asus laptop, but nothing major. For instance, the shortcut keys with the Fn keyboard button have not all worked correctly so far. There may be a fix or better driver out there that I've not found yet, but so far those are flaky. Not a super big deal, b/c I rarely use them anyway. That's an Asus with a 3rd generation i7 to get an idea on model timing. I also tried on an HP laptop, 1st generation i3 processor, and so far, best I can tell it's all good. I haven't checked the little things there yet such as the keyboard hotkeys, but all in all working well.

Software seems to all work. There might be something that doesn't, but I'd be shocked if anything from Adobe didn't work on Windows 10. Any major vendors surely will work fine.

[ol 1]
[li]If you have major concerns, and know enough of what you're doing or feel comfortable trying, you could:[/li]
[li]Create a system image back up of your current isntallation[/li]
[li]Then do the Windows 10 Upgrade in place first[/li]
[li]Test it out[/li]
[li]I guess you could also image the Windows 10 Upgrade in case you run into issues going backward as far as Windows activation.[/li]
[li]If you have problems, then overwrite your upgrade with your previous windows image. I've read somewhere mentions of people having issues reverting back to previous windows versions from 10, as far as using the feature from within Windows 10.[/li]
[/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks KJV and Linney,

Found this response on the forums.adobe.com,

" Despite all the other answers I can confirm Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and Fireworks CS3 actually DO work on a Windows 10 Home edition.

I had both installed on Win 8.0 (after upgrade on 8.1). I upgraded to Windows 10 and both programs still work perfectly.

So in short: it does work."

I have not seen any answer to my next question... does the Win 10 wipe the hard drive clean or does it install over Win 8.1?

daniel

You can choose the upgrade option, which will not wipe the drive prior to the install.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

And it doesn't install over the old OS, it stores the old OS in a separate location, because you have 30 days to change your mind and revert back to your old OS.

Thanks, the install that does not wipe my drive is the way I probably will go.

Daniel

And once you do the upgrade, you can go back and do a fresh install if you want to, in the FAQ is a link to the download tool, I used the download tool to create a thumb drive, and that is what I used to upgrade my computers, worked great.

I think I may wait until October before I do the upgrade. By that time all the stink should have been "washed" off.

Daniel

Yeah, I did the same thing as rclarke250. I've done so on at least 3 machines in the past few weeks. 2 laptops of my own and one desktop for someone else. I don't think I did any others yet, but been thinking about it. [bigsmile] No real issues, and it works super duper smoothly. Definitely more smoothly than any prior OS uprade experience. Clean install generally worked better, but between the 2 laptops, some issues I had with fresh install I did not have with upgrade. They were either driver related or some sort of application settings it held in place for in place upgrade. But I LOVE this method of activation compared with old methods.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I made the migration to Win 10 and am pleased to find that CS3 works wonderfully!

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back