Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS2 to CS3 bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesmurphy

Technical User
Jan 3, 2006
GB
Hi guys,

We are going to be making the transition from CS2 to CS3 next week and I wonder if anyone can give me a heads up on some of the problems I am going to come up against?

We have four G5 towers in the studio running OSX 10.4.10 and one Mac Pro running 10.5.2. We are running Extensis Suitcase X1 on our server and have already predicted we will have to upgrade this due to the problems we have already had installing the new Mac Pro.. (Fonts currently saved locally on the work station!)

We have loads of work going through the studio right now so its not the ideal time to upgrade, so any pre-warning on bugs will be very beneficial!

Thanks in advance for any info!

Just make sure you update to 5.02 of CS3 when you get it. And update your Acrobat to the latest edition.

I have transitioned from CS2 to CS3, and I haven't come up against many issues that are a major concern.

I have had to abandon Suitcase X1. i just put client fonts into the font folder in the INDD CS3 application. Make an alias, put it on your desktop. Slick!

Also, and this is peculiar to Leopard for me, INDD CS3 is crashy. Still haven't figured out a decent solution to this. Trashing prefs, restarting, rebooting, it all seems like a crapshoot to get it to work consistently.

Be very wary of "saving back" to CS2. There are transparency issues that do not translate back. If you have no shadow effects or anything "fancy" going on, then you're probably OK to save back.

Mark

Using CS3 since it came out, I've not had crashy problems at all. Can you clarify your crashy problems?

The one issue I had was that I couldn't use TAB to cylce through dialog boxes and control panels, ditched my preferences and it worked fine again. Never really had a problem with it other than that.

Sometimes, it would crash when it hits a certain page, but I narrowed that down to that particular text I had imported that it had the same style name as one of my other styles, therefore attempting to apply the same style 2 or 3 times and InDesign just crashed. But I just had to blind select the text and remove the formatting and then restyle a page or two.

Haven't got any other tales of woe with Indesign. Perhaps there was an issue with Text Wrap getting flipped from CS2 to CS3, where if you had 4mm right text wrap on an object in CS2, then opening it in CS3 made the text wrap be on the left side. But I think patches have fixed that now.

Although the thing about the Effects is correct, saving back would be problematic for certain things, like Text Variables, Paragraph Numbering and etc.

...indesign cs3 is definitely a great upgrade from cs2, not experienced crashing as regi mark mentions, this could well be likely corrupt font problems if indesign is misbehaving so often, linotype fontexplorer is pretty good with CS3 in my experience for font management...

...a dodgy third party plugin could also be causing problems...

...a pre-release install of indesign (builds with numbers lower than 458) aren't well supported on leopard...

...it could also be unstable using the archive and install process as opposed to a clean install of leopard...

...exporting to inx format to open in CS2 is problematic, definitely use with caution, unless i have to, i always open a CS3 in CS3 and a CS2 in CS2. I've had problems with layered options on .ai files when exporting to to inx format, they didn't seem to hold position at all well...

Andrew

...also, indesign cs3 crashes appear to be more prevalent on PPC macs than intel, here is a workaround i came across for some saving/importing issues etc:

1. Open a new doc and Print.

2. Open the print dialog box choose the "Printer..." button

3. Then go under the "PDF" button to "Save as PDF" which will open a basic "save as" Finder window.

4. From this window you can "Cancel" all the way back out of the Print dialog box, close the new doc. At this point you can open any other InDesign file and save/save as/export/import without issue.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back