Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cs1k ip phones locating server

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighturn

MIS
Jun 19, 2008
BS
I have a problem with my ip phones. Every now and again my phones will lose connection to the cs1k and to reconnect i have to physically remove the patch cable and plug it back in. Is there a way i can troubleshoot why this is happening. Also we are using CAT6 with fiber backbone, and cisco switches. Thank you very much for your support.

are you running dhcp? using vlan seg? only about 10K possible answers to this one.. are they all on the same broadcast domain

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yes we are running partial DHCP, we input the s1 ip address. We are also using Vlan.

If you have an IP Phone which lets you configure "Partial" as a response to the DHCP prompt, then you are about 8 releases behind the currently-available firmware.

Do you have QoS set for voice priority? Kinda sounds to me like your data traffic may be interfering. Best bet is to use a packet sniffer and then analyze it with Wireshark.
I don't think it is a partial DHCP issues because we used that successfully for years at one site. It could also be a power issue so check that. Finally it could be some type of security scan running as our security guy was scanning our Nortel subnet (phones included) and Nortel does not play nicely with such scanning.

Yes, we are using release 3. some of our are using data and voice vlan. this is cause the phone acts as a switch, where the computer connects through the switch. i will try using wireshark to troubleshoot this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back