Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000S adding a PRI doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKFrost

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2010
US
I'm not a guru on the Nortel system by any means, but we have this dinosaur and I'm trying to add another PRI connection to it.

It seems that no outbound communications make it to the D channel. If I enl msgi and enl msgo, then dial the access code, I see nothing.

What seems crazy to me is that inbound communications seem to work just fine.

I have had a tech who is quite familiar with the Nortel system look at it up and down and he is baffled. He said there are no restrictions that should be stopping this--it simply doesn't work, and we get no SCH codes or anything indicating a problem.

I have one working PRI on the system, and it's in production so I'm afraid to touch that one.

I don't know the full history on this setup, but it was an Option11C that got upgraded to CS1000 4.5 and also had a signaling server added, so I'm lead to believe that makes the system a CS1000S v4.5. The working PRI was most likely built before the software upgrades.

Best guess at this point is that something went wrong during the upgrade but we never knew it b/c we never needed to add another PRI before.

What slot is the PRI card in?. For the 1000M Cabinet and Mini systems it can only be in the first cabinet. For the 1000S systems, I think they can only work on expansion cabinets where survivability has been enabled.

I do remember trying to configure a PRI in slot 12 on a 1000M system and couldn't figure out why all the programming was OK, yet it wouldn't enable until I found out about the ISM for survivability.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

We first tried slot 6, then moved it to slot 3, only in the first cabinet.

The card itself is fine, btw. We physically swapped it with the working PRI setup and it functioned fine.

Working TMDI card is in slot 1, slot 2 has an MC-32, and slot 3 now has the new PRI card.

The channels all showing IDLE and the DCH showing EST for this new PRI?

If so, try changing the DSEL in the RDB to 3VCE if it's not alreay.

I did ld 60, stat 3 and all channels are idle (except 24, which I thought was correct).

I did ld 96 and stat dch, it shows to be established.

DSEL for the RDB is set to VCE.

I'm not sure how to change to 3VCE from the command line, but I can choose from a drop down box in Element Manager and when I try to change it to 3VCE I get:
Error: incorrect input
(H0000)
OVL42:
Overlay memory space in use.

Tried searching Google for this error and didn't find much at all.

that's the equivalent to overlay conflict on the cli interface, basically, another user is logged in. Wait a few and attempt again

Ah, ok I was logged in the web interface and CLI simultaneous, so that explains the overlay issue.

I changed the DSEL of the RDB to 3VCE, and still when I dial the access code and an extension I want to send over the new PRI, I see no messages.

If I understand correctly, I should be able to ld 96, enl msgo 4, and enl msgi 4 (I'm using D-Channel 4) and see some feedback on the terminal when I dial the access code for the trunk route along with an extension?

I see nothing, though!

I'm having trouble capturing the output. I'm trying to source a serial adapter since this this system uses 25 pin and I only have 9 pin ports on my computer. Then I will be able to easily provide exactly what I'm seeing.

But when I ld 96 and stat mon, I see something like:
DCH MON ON
DCH 004 msgi enl msgo enl (UIPE)
DCH 010 msgi dis msgo dis (UIPE)
DCH 012 msgi dis msgo dis (UIPE)

D-Channel 12 is the one I tried first.

When I "stat mon 4" I get several lines
MSGI (level 0)
msg=prim aler disc fac fidc fjdc info and several more lines of stuff
ch = all
set = off
DBGI (level 0): dsbl
msgo (level 0)
msg = prim aler disc fac frnc and more lines of stuff
ch = all
set = off
dbgo (level 0): dsbl

When I "stat mon tty" it simply returns:
DCH012

If I enl msgo 10 and enl msgi 10, I can dial the access code for that D-channel's associated RDB trunk route (not sure if I phrase that right) + any thing else and it will generate messages on the terminal.

But when I try to do that for D-channel 4 I get nothing.

Sorry, correction, dchannel 12 is used by the signaling server as part of an h.323 trunk to another office. I don't think that's relevant but I wanted to provide correct info.

Alberto111, I am not sure what you mean about TGAR? If there is some specific command I can input that will help, I will be glad to do so. I Google searched TGAR and it appears to be relating to call restrictions. I know that the Nortel tech I had onsite who tried to get this working mentioned that there were no restrictions in place.

Bhassell2000 and yyrkroon, I can now capture output, and this is what I have:
ld 96

DCH000
.stat mon

DCH MON ON
DCH 004 : MSGI - DSBL MSGO - DSBL (UIPE)
DCH 010 : MSGI - DSBL MSGO - DSBL (UIPE)
DCH 012 : MSGI - DSBL MSGO - DSBL

.stat mon 4

DCH MON ON
DCH 004 : (UIPE)
MSGI ( LEVEL 0 ) : DSBL
DBGI ( LEVEL 0 ) : DSBL
MSGO ( LEVEL 0 ) : DSBL
DBGO ( LEVEL 0 ) : DSBL

.enl msgi 4

.enl msgo 4

.stat mon 4

DCH MON ON
DCH 004 : (UIPE)
MSGI ( LEVEL 0 )
MSG = PRIM ALER DISC FAC FIDC FJDC
INFO MIFO NOTF PROC PROG RLSC
RLS REJ STP STPC STEN STAT
RST RSTC SVC SVCC
CH = ALL
SET = OFF
DBGI ( LEVEL 0 ) : DSBL
MSGO ( LEVEL 0 )
MSG = PRIM ALER DISC FAC FRNC FJNC
INFO MIFO NOTF PROC PROG REJ
RLS STP STPR STEN STAT RST
RSTR SVC SVCR RSTJ
CH = ALL
SET = OFF
DBGO ( LEVEL 0 ) : DSBL

.stat mon

DCH MON ON
DCH 004 : MSGI - ENBL MSGO - ENBL (UIPE)
DCH 010 : MSGI - DSBL MSGO - DSBL (UIPE)
DCH 012 : MSGI - DSBL MSGO - DSBL

.stat mon tty

DCH012

The problem is you and your tech don't know how to "configure" this circuit. You call it a dinosaur, and I call it a Cadillac. The upgrade brings you all the latest features. Since the upgrade, there have been all kinds of neat changes. You need a tech that knows what he is doing. Your tech doesn't! Make some calls to other vendors and specifically ask them if they can get a PRI working in less than 120 minutes. Tell them what you have accomplished so far. Any of them that say it takes hours, say thanks and goodbye.
You have shotgunned this system for a weeks with no resolution. David and the guys have given you some great clues to look for. Did you build the Route and try the access code directly? Does the carrier even have this circuit built? Have you tried a loop back plug?
Make the call!

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

Thanks for the input, DocVic. As stated above, I have been trying to dial the access code directly and I never see any d-channel messages when I do.

Regarding the carrier/loopback plug, I didn't want to over-complicate the problem with too much information. I'm wanting to use this PRI to interface with an AudioCodes Mediant gateway to an Exchange UM system. The PRI appears to be online, and interestingly, I can send traffic inbound to the Nortel system and it seems to work ok. I'm thinking this would satisfy any concerns regarding carrier/loopback?

However, for the setup to be useful, I need to be able to have communications originate outbound from the Nortel system to the AudioCodes device. So, I was trying to focus on the access code/d-channel issue, thinking that must be resolved in order to steer calls to the PRI.

I called it a dinosaur because it has a monochrome terminal that looks ancient, an esoteric command interface, and I was told the Option 11 was developed in the 70s. They made Cadillac's in the 70s, too, and you can put a newer engine in a '78 El Dorado, but it's still an old chassis.

I never meant to convey that I knew how to configure this phone system. I'm just kind of stuck here with this problem and turned to this forum hoping someone might have some fresh ideas to help. I'm no expert--I'm simply willing to try.

I have had Nortel techs from two different vendors check it out, and I'm working on getting a 3rd one. The one that spent the most time on it said this is normally something he would have finished in about an hour. He tried multiple slots, multiple d-channels, rebuilt the route/trunk a few times, etc. Still, I suppose it is possible that they don't know what they are doing. What are your rates?

You need to call AudioCodes and ask for a recommendation for a reliable vendor that has installed their equipment on the Nortel system. Or, if they have an engineer that can work with you to get it working. You have a connection and configuration problem that needs to be looked at on-site. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't do that when you bought it.

The reason I call it a Cadillac is, Nortel has invested millions into the Meridian systems over the years. It is basically "bullet proof", and has replaced Ericsson in South America and Mexico. It will never fail if installed right. This system still has all the luxury and power that keeps you in the fast lane. From the El Durado to the CTS-V, as long as you don't have screw ups like greedy John Roth at the helm, it'll live forever.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

Can you send us the Route Data Block RDB, Dchannel setup and CDB net_data and esn block.

LD 21
req: PRt
type: RDB
Cust: <-- Customer number you are using - probably 0
Route: <-- Route number

LD 22
req: prt
type: ADAN DCH 4

LD 21
req: PRT
type: net

LD 86
req:prt
Feat: ESN

Sorry, I know there are probably many Nortel fans and I apologize if I seemed to bash them. This phone system has for the most part been very reliable. I am just very frustrated because I'm completely out of my element here, and the costs seem way out of line. I was told that since I don't have PASS, to open a case with Avaya directly would cost $6000!

ld 21 prt rdb results:
>ld 21

PT1000

REQ: PRT

TYPE: RDB

CUST 0

ROUT 3

TYPE RDB
CUST 00
DMOD
ROUT 3
DES AUDIO CODES
TKTP DID
M911_ANI NO
M911_TONE NO
NPID_TBL_NUM 0
SAT NO
RCLS EXT
VTRK NO
NODE
DTRK YES
BRIP NO
DGTP PRI
ISDN YES
MODE PRA
IFC NI2
CBCR NO
NCOS 0
SBN NO
PNI 00000
NCNA YES
NCRD NO
CHTY BCH
CPFXS YES
CPUB OFF
DAPC NO
BCOT 0
INTC NO
DSEL 3VCE
PTYP PRI
AUTO NO
DNIS NO
DCDR NO
ICOG IAO
RANX NO
SRCH LIN
TRMB YES
STEP
ACOD 8303
TCPP NO
PII NO
TARG 01
CLEN 1
BILN NO
OABS
INST
IDC NO
DCNO 0 *
NDNO 0
DEXT NO
ICIS YES
TIMR ICF 512
OGF 512
EOD 13952
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
FLH 510
GRD 896
SFB 3
NBS 2048
NBL 4096
DRNG NO
CDR NO
MUS NO
EQAR NO
FRL 0 0
FRL 1 0
FRL 2 0
FRL 3 0
FRL 4 0
FRL 5 0
FRL 6 0
FRL 7 0
TTBL 0
ATAN NO
PLEV 2
MCTS NO
ALRM NO
ART 0
SGRP 0
ARDN NO
AACR NO

ld 22 prt adan dch 4 results:
REQ prt
TYPE adan dch 4

ADAN DCH 4
CTYP TMDI
CARD 03
PORT 1
DES AudioCodes
USR PRI
DCHL 3
OTBF 32
PARM RS232 DTE
DRAT 64KC
CLOK EXT
IFC NI2
ISDN_MCNT 300
CLID OPT0
CO_TYPE STD
SIDE USR
CNEG 1
RLS ID 35
RCAP COLP
MBGA NO
OVLR NO
OVLS NO
T310 120
T200 3
T203 10
N200 3
N201 260
K 7
BSRV NO

ld 21 prt net results:
REQ: prt

TYPE: net

TYPE NET_DATA
CUST 0

TYPE NET_DATA
CUST 00
OPT RTA
AC1 INTL NPA SPN NXX LOC
AC2
FNP YES
ISDN YES
VPNI 0
PNI 1
PINX_DN
MBG 0
BSGC 65535
PFX1
PFX2
HLOC
LSC
RCNT 5
PSTN NO
TNDM 15
PCMC 15
SATD 1
OCLI NO
DITI YES
TRNX YES
EXTT YES
FTOP FRES
VNR NO
NIT 8
FOPT 14
CNTC
NATC
INTC

ld 86 prt ESN results:

>ld 86

ESN000

MEM AVAIL: (U/P): 2752813 USED U P: 212842 81768 TOT: 3047423
DISK RECS AVAIL: 1152
REQ PRT

CUST 0

FEAT ESN

MXLC 25
MXSD 25
MXIX 25
MXDM 25
MXRL 25
MXFC 25
MXFS 25
MXSC 250
NCDP 4
AC1 9
AC2 2499
DLTN YES
ERWT YES
ERDT 6
TODS 0 00 00 23 59
RTCL DIS
NCOS 0 - 0
NCOS 1 - 0
NCOS 2 - 0
NCOS 3 - 0
NCOS 4 - 0
NCOS 5 - 0
NCOS 6 - 0
NCOS 7 - 0
NCOS 8 - 0
NCOS 9 - 0
NCOS 10 - 0
NCOS 11 - 0
NCOS 12 - 0
NCOS 13 - 0
NCOS 14 - 0
NCOS 15 - 0
NCOS 16 - 0
NCOS 17 - 0
NCOS 18 - 0
NCOS 19 - 0
NCOS 20 - 0
NCOS 21 - 0
NCOS 22 - 0
NCOS 23 - 0
NCOS 24 - 0
NCOS 25 - 0
NCOS 26 - 0
NCOS 27 - 0
NCOS 28 - 0
NCOS 29 - 0
NCOS 30 - 0
NCOS 31 - 0
NCOS 32 - 0
NCOS 33 - 0
NCOS 34 - 0
NCOS 35 - 0
NCOS 36 - 0
NCOS 37 - 0
NCOS 38 - 0
NCOS 39 - 0
NCOS 40 - 0
NCOS 41 - 0
NCOS 42 - 0
NCOS 43 - 0
NCOS 44 - 0
NCOS 45 - 0
NCOS 46 - 0
NCOS 47 - 0
NCOS 48 - 0
NCOS 49 - 0
NCOS 50 - 0
NCOS 51 - 0
NCOS 52 - 0
NCOS 53 - 0
NCOS 54 - 0
NCOS 55 - 0
NCOS 56 - 0
NCOS 57 - 0
NCOS 58 - 0
NCOS 59 - 0
NCOS 60 - 0
NCOS 61 - 0
NCOS 62 - 0
NCOS 63 - 0
NCOS 64 - 0
NCOS 65 - 0
NCOS 66 - 0
NCOS 67 - 0
NCOS 68 - 0
NCOS 69 - 0
NCOS 70 - 0
NCOS 71 - 0
NCOS 72 - 0
NCOS 73 - 0
NCOS 74 - 0
NCOS 75 - 0
NCOS 76 - 0
NCOS 77 - 0
NCOS 78 - 0
NCOS 79 - 0
NCOS 80 - 0
NCOS 81 - 0
NCOS 82 - 0
NCOS 83 - 0
NCOS 84 - 0
NCOS 85 - 0
NCOS 86 - 0
NCOS 87 - 0
NCOS 88 - 0
NCOS 89 - 0
NCOS 90 - 0
NCOS 91 - 0
NCOS 92 - 0
NCOS 93 - 0
NCOS 94 - 0
NCOS 95 - 0
NCOS 96 - 0
NCOS 97 - 0
NCOS 98 - 0
NCOS 99 - 0
ETOD
TGAR NO

MEM AVAIL: (U/P): 2752813 USED U P: 212842 81768 TOT: 3047423
DISK RECS AVAIL: 1152

Phone you are dialing from should have CLS=unr and TGAR= 0

When you dial 8303 what do you hear?

if you just want to try a few channels on that link, just use a Maint phone and LD 36 TRK option,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back