Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000E 5.5 HA Signal Server issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowtalks

Technical User
Mar 19, 2005
US
I have a CS1000E 5.5 with the CPPM SS card (leader) showing two red lights (status and also cs)...the LAN lights seem happy...INI has no response. The other SS card is fine...I have had no reason to screw with these cards for several years and my old brain has forgotten much.

Can I pull and reseat the card hot? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS, NCTS, NCTE, CS1000E, Avaya IP Office, Mitel 3300 Basic & Advanced, 5000, SX200, NuPoint

From what I recall some time ago was that it was possible to reset or reseat the cards if you found that they were not responding as the cards are only used for power off the back plane

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

I forgot to add if you are able to ping either the ELAN or TLAN IP addresses?. I had a case where the CPPM SS card was up but both the LAN ports weren't responding. All I did was to pull the card out and swap out the hard disk and power it back up again.

That resolved the problem.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

I know the system can't see it, but I haven't tries to ping either the TLAN or the ELAN...

thanks, Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS, NCTS, NCTE, CS1000E, Avaya IP Office, Mitel 3300 Basic & Advanced, 5000, SX200, NuPoint

I would try pressing the RST Button first instead of unseating it. That will reboot it.

Is this a CoRes or do you have CPPM Call servers and CPPM signal servers separate? The CS indicator would indicate that it is set up for a Call Server, not a signal server

The RST button was non-responsive also. They are separate cards. There were two red goose egg lights including the smaller cs, but the TLAN and the ELAN links seemed happy, though I couldn't ping it. I tried to get into the CLI of the signal server without joy and after reseating it a couple of times I ended up up pulling it and putting the hard drive in another CPPM card and stuck it back in the system and it came right up...I would have bet money it was a bad hard drive, but with the LAN lights happy at first until I reseated it, then they never came back, I started wondering if the hard drive might be OK.

Good HD, bad card.

Jim

The memory fails on those cards. There was a bad batch shipped. The card is probably fine.

How would one clear or test the memory on those cards? (this card has been running since 2009)

Jim

Not sure how you would test it and there is no way to clear it

Thanks for providing the great info...it appears memory failure probably was the case on both card failures (one this week and one two years ago)...

Jim

We have replaced hundreds of CPPM cards with bad memory. Each time it was memory the link lights stopped working on the Ethernet ports.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

We went round and replaced all ours while rolling out a 7.6 upgrade you can purchase memory replacements from Avaya and get them in before they fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back