Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000 Upgrade in the next 6-8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty99n

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2014
CA
Hi everyone, i am a newbie here so please be patient with me. we run a CS1000 software level 7.5 and have been told we need to upgrade to the tune of over $150k in the next year for new processor boards to replace the Motorola boards currently in pace. i am told the replacement processors will run in a rack separate form the CS1000 itself. Does any one else face these upgrades and are there any alternatives to look at i know VOIP and centrex are 2 options but seem pricier than the upgrade.
Thanks,

I doubt you are running Motorola Processors on 7.5. My guess is they are Pentium IV Processors or CPPM and they are fully supported. I think someone is trying to sell you something you don't need. However, if you could let us know exactly what the processors are we could help you out more. Also what type of switch, 1000E or M

thanks for the quick responses, upon further review in our 81C we have a CS1000M with pentium IV. we are being told by Avaya we have to upgrade within 6 -8 months to stay on service contract.

If Avaya is telling you this, look to other companies to provide the service for you. 7.5 is EOL so they are not writing new patches, 7.6, with a service plan should be a free upgrade (except for required hardware and labor), but there are plenty of companies out there that will support it if Avaya doesn't want to. Unless you have some compelling business case to upgrade (maybe you need Contact Center, or some other application you don't have now) then you should really look at why you would upgrade.

this is just my two cents.

John Anaya
Amdocs Inc.
ACSS/ACIS - CS1000 Rls 7.5/Call Pilot 5
ACSS/ACIS - SME - IP Office 8.0
APSS/APDS - Avaya UC Services

Public Profile

What gets changed from 7.5 to 7.6 that cost that much? I just got a qoute about 9 months ago to go from 5.5 to 7.5 and it was only in the 50k range and that was including upgrading the Call Pilot from 4 to 5.

CPPM (Intel Pentium Mobile-based) was introduced with CS 1000 Rls.5.0 around 2006. CP IV a year or 2 before so it may be that EOL cycle is kicking in for the processor cards and you are being 'forced' to upgrade (which could then mean ending up with Avaya Aura servers, System Manager, Session Manager, etc.). You are already on CS 1000 Rls.7.5 so you should be current (except for question of EOL on CP IV perhaps). Might want to ask Avaya to provide you the latest CS 1000 h/w & s/w compatibility matrix for CS 1000 Rls.7.5 system or the upgrade/migration roadmap.

Depending on your specific needs, a good alternative could be the E-MetroTel UCx VoIP platform for a lot less $s. It works quite nicely with the CS 1000, Nortel phones (Digital, IP, SIP) are supported and with 1 license, you get UC apps including unified messaging, find me follow me mobility, conferencing, IVR, call recording, call reporting, call center, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back