Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000 upgrade from release 5.5 to 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgjlee

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2005
GB
We have SRS on our software and are currently on release 5.5

I recently asked our partner if they would take us to release 6.0 to fix one small issue we having. We have been told that despite having SRS, certain elements of our hardware would also need replacing. As the cost of this came to 19k I am going to have to write a business case.

In simple terms, apart from remaining current, what business or end user benefits do we get from an upgrade of 5.5 to release 6.0??? Hope you can help!

Can you elaborate on that! Is it that bad? We have had our fair share of issues on 5.5

There are many benefits for R6 besides staying current( which is a big benefit in itself) You get UCM security/Single sign on. More robust IP set security, Your analog and digital licenses are merged so you do not have to maintain seperate licenses, Yu can manage yoru telephones thru element manager and get rid of TM and other benefits as well.

Not knowing your applciations and type of busines sIt is hard to provide business case justification.

If your price is 19K I am assuming you need to change multiple signaling servers from ISP1100s to COTS and change processors?

Ask your vendor to price using IBM305 servers which are roughly 1/2 the cost of the 3550 servers.

I have seen unscrupulous vendors charge exorbitant amounts of labor for SRS upgrades because they are not getting much equipment margin.

Call 1 or 2 competing vendors to get alternate quotes. your Current Vendor has to provide the software free of charge , however you can use alternate means to get the hardware and labor.

I think R6 is a much stabler version of CS1000 software however many technicians are struggling with the LINUX based signaling servers and UCM.

Thank you PhoneDude. This is insightful and helpful. Do you think Element manager is a worthy replacement for TM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back