Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000 Techs/Administrators Are a Dying Breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterMaster

Technical User
Feb 2, 2012
US
I hate Cisco, but it appears they are taking over the world.
Anyone have any idea where to find a CS1000 Admin job in the Louisville, KY area?

That's funny, I actually did. They could not even come close to what I make now. Thanks for the suggestion though. I would not leave where I work now for less than 90K.

Yes it appears we are , Its starting to be a Mitel world as well .

Telecom Lead Tech
NTT-Data

Yep, I just heard a few weeks ago we are taking on the Mitel product. They have been around a long time. I worked on their old SX-100 and SX-200 back in the 80's but lots has changed since then

I'm trying to find a place that is a Nortel/Avaya Blue shop and still make the money I do today. I can work on both Cisco and Avaya. Cisco is OK as long as you stay away from SIP. It's one constant issue after another. A real pain. I getting to old for this Cisco crap.

Unfortunately SIP seems to be the way to go nowadays. I have done SIP between Devices but never to the PSTN. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Everyone wants to deliver their services over IP now.

But there is still a bunch of Nortel out there. and not as many of us to make them work , one would about think we could about write our own ticket .

Telecom Lead Tech
NTT-Data

yep, even in the UK its not that good any more, I've had to learn cisco & move to the DARK side. I can also do all the Mitel stuff from sx2000 through to 3300 but the moneys not there on that product. The only good thing about Cisco is that all the data guys do such a bad job of voice that voice guys make cisco look easy.

Don't worry, cisco will only have 10 left before the Chinese take over!!!!!!!

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

PSTN SIP Sucks. IMHO, it's not ready for prime time. Most carriers can't do T.38 faxing on it either.

It seems these days that your skills in using a test phone, knowing what the best solutions are, learning about colour coding on cabling and perhaps many other things that we teckies do on a daily basis aren't what the communications industry needs anymore, yet it's funny how there is still plenty of it around.

This IP stuff is being made to work in today's world, and for me, I can't help but wonder if everything is as robust as it used to be.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

FirebirdScrambler the simple answer to "is everything as robust as it used to be" is NO way. I've got a customer about to bin two opt 81c on 5.5 that have had 4 days downtime in 7 years, yet the new Cisco CM platform hasn't worked for one week since it was installed (last October) without one major issue or component needing a reboot :) still they've got nice looking phones

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

We use SIP to the PSTN here. 10K DIDs and 350 CCPs. Two trunks inbound one is DR. We've not had any problem with our provider. They do T.38 but to me the real key is the codec. We made sure that only g711 is used. ATT however does suck. As for us being a dying breed, I agree with that but it was inevitable. Avaya did us in. My loyalty was/is with Nortel and they are long gone. I just replaced one of my 5 CS1000s last Wednesday with Cisco. I don't want to be like our end users we've all complained about for years. Every time we change the phones to a new model and they fuss about how much better the old one was. That's what we're doing if we don't keep moving forward. I have to admit that I don't particularly care for administering CUCM but it's what we have now. It will certainly lead you down other career paths if you choose.

We're using SIP into our ShoreTel/Mitel on prem solution. We have 2 providers and they both operate slightly differently.... Also having to use a SBC to deliver act as a go between between the switch and provider.

Works well enough but I do miss the cs1k days, proper kit and a proper solution. Staring at windows event logs looking for the issue is just painful.

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

I've had Avaya reps bugging the crap out of me now that they will no longer be supporting the CS1000 platform. I'll have to go to school to learn a new platform b/c all I know is Nortel.

Looks like we're moving to IPO, I really like our Nortel. I just finally got it down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back