Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000 and Elevator phones 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaxx

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
CA
Hi,

We just upgraded to release 6.0 of the Avaya/Nortel CS1000 and ever since it will not recognise the tones coming from the elevator telephones. We have over a dozen elevators all with various makes and models of elevator phone (most made by Janus). The telephones are themselves programmed to auto dial an 800 (to a call center) when the phone goes off hook. Now we get a fast busy. The elevator phone is able to receive incoming calls. When the elevator phones go off hook I can hear the dial tone, and I can hear the touch tones being made by the set.
If I remove the elevator phone and connect my butt set or any old analogue phone for that matter I can make calls no problem. Even if I punch down the elevator phone right to the TN it won't work. Yet if I bring that elevator phone home and hook it up to my land line at home it works fine.
It's like the new system doesn't recognise the tones coming from the elevator set. For now we have deprogrammed the phone sets of their auto dial function and set up the line with a HOT_D to auto dial from the system when the set goes off hook. What bothers me is that it’s just a fix and not a solution. We can't be the only ones that are having or have had this problem. Everything was working fine before the upgrade. TSA had even been in the week before to test all the elevator phones, all where fine then.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

Do the Elevator Phones "break" dial tone on the CS1000?

Is it possible the Elevator Phones did not have to dial 9 before? Meaning, during the upgrade, they manually built those TNs because they didn't spot Pretranslation?
I'm heading down the path that the Janus phones are programmed to dial one way, but the PBX TNs changed configuration.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com
--

On another note, I would not rely on the Janus phones to do the dialing when the PBX can do it automagically. Plus, you can use OHAS and be alerted if the phone is taken off hook and dropped by a disabled occupant.

--
--

The phones, had to dial 9 before and that has not changed. The phone can not be left off hook as it does not have a handset. Just a button, mic and speaker. We didn't just switch to CS1000 we upgraded from 4.5 to 6.0.

curious as to why not just hot d the dn? thats how we always did elev phones.

The elevator phones do break the dial tone, but the system doesn't seem to capture all the touch tones. I have no issue with using the hot_d for the elevator phones. It's just not the way it was originally configured. In my mind even though it may not have been common or even best practise it should still work.
Worst now is that we are discovering that other analogue devices seem to also be affected. Some security alarm systems are not able to break the dial tone and some fax machines can receive faxes but seem to have problems with outgoing faxes.

I spoke to a service tech this morning who was trying to help me troubleshoot one of our analogue issues, and he said: "It doesn't seem like this is a true analogue signal". When I asked him for more details he just said, that something seemed weird with the way his equipment was responding or failing to respond to the tone.

How does one troubleshoot a bad Digitone Reciever?

That is easier said than done. The only certain test is to pull them all out and use one at a time. However, thje books will tell you do go to LD34 and do DTR L S C

The LD34 method is for sure the best place to start. Nobody wants to pull them all out unless the tests all report good but the problem persists.

--
--

Thanks, but I don't think it applies here as we are fully IP, the digitone receivers are build right into the MGC card and they are all stat idle

Yes, I guess it is. But why won't so many of our analogue devices not work with this new artificial tone, when my butt set will? I need a resolution and I can't get a straight answer from Avaya/Nortel or Bell or anyone it would seem for that matter.

Yes, we have tried reprogramming the dial string on the elevator phone. Even tried adding a pause between the 9 and the 800 number in case it was a dialing speed issue.

Yes there is a 1 between the 9 and the 800. But it's not just the elevator phones anymore. This problem is now compounding to affect Fax machines, security alarm lines, polycoms, etc...
Everyday there seems to be some device we discover is not working correctly. It is strictly a dialling out issue. Incoming calls are no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back