Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000 7.65 re-install, replace OEM drive with SSD Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewOK

IS-IT--Management
Jan 1, 2011
US
Building a lab system.

I have 7.65 software on a CF, patches, and licenses on paper and backup file. What are some opinions about using a SSD drive as a replacement for the OEM drive? Do I need to keep the same size, is there a particular brand that is better suited for this, is this generally a bad idea?

The OEM drive appears to be okay, but a SSD might take care of some future issues related to drive age.

This is in a home lab, not production, so down time in not critical, but I would likely use it on my home service: AdTran Total Access 908e (sip)-> T-1 in the CS1000.

Thank you in advance for thoughts/ideas.

-Matthew

You mention having a CF with 7.65 software, so I assume a CPPM. If you are running co-res CS+SS then the obvious advantage is speeding things up like software installation time and startup times/reboot. I have had success with using one of those Amazon bought IDE to m.2 SATA adapters. It works just fine and obvious performance increase. However, it looks like the system is constantly reading/writing to the drive so wear became my question. If you plan on having it run 24/7 then I would suggest going for an SSD that can withstand 24/7/365 reads/writes. That being said, I have not investigated what the read/write activity is and how much of it is (E.g. how much data is being read/written in a day) or how big of a concern it is. Very well it may be nothing to get worked about, other than to satisfy the curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back