Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystar reports performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarep1001

Programmer
Feb 16, 2006
YU

I have report that has about 23.000 pages and 100.000 records from database. I am joining 2 tables and performing grouping on the server.

It takes about 3 hours to create and export the report to pdf.

Is it possible to speed-up the process?

Probably.

I gather that you're somewhat new to databases, but when asking about making reports go faster, you need to post your software version, and the database and connectivity used.

One of the primary reasons for slow reports is that Crystal itself is doing part of the filtering of the data, so you need to make sure that the Report->Selection Formulas-Record reflects what is in the Database->Show SQL Query

Check out my FAQ as well:

faq767-3825

-k

23,000 pages and 100,00 records equates to slightly over 4 records per page. Is this correct?

Beyond this not making sense, I would follow the instructions from SV.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I am using Crystal Reports 11, the database is MS SQL Server 2000. the connectivity is OLE DB (ADO) provider SQLOLEDB.

Both group and record selection formulas are empty. Option perform grouping on server is checked.

The reason why I have avg 4 records per page is that I am grouping records by the customer.

So do you have 4 records or 4 groups per page?

Are you displaying the details section? If so perform grouping on server is doing you no good, nor will it ever do you any good if you need to display detail records.

I would try an ODBC connection just to see if that made a difference.

Also, how long does it take to preview the report, and how long does it take to expoert to .pdf? Can you get a better performance if you print to the acrobat printer rather than exporting to create your.pdf?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Right, doesn't make sense to me.

A dump of a 23000 row database is generally quick, and a 5000+ page PDF export is rather large, to the point of being almost unusable, I can imagine that loading the document is time consuming alone.

Try an export to Excel, how long does that take?

Section auppression can affect speed, as will a good number of other factors.

-k

Hi,
Also try this:

In the report designer, use the Database..Show Sql to copy the actual code that is being sent to the database and try running it directly ( using SqlServer's tools) - does it return records any faster?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I have tried exporting the report to Excel, it takes even longer...

When I run the SQL code directly it takes only a minute to return all 100.000 records..

Hi,
OK..If it is fast in SqlServer ( using the code created by CR) but not when run in the report, something in the report ( possibly the grouping or sorting) is causing the slowdown..If not exported, just viewed, does it take as long?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I think it's the exporting to pdf part that's the pig, we do that a lot here and noticed that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back