Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal XI - cascade parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

samps1

MIS
Dec 9, 2004
US
I am trying to create a cascading parameter following the steps in the userguide for Crystal Reports XI (pages 451-452).

The problem that I have is in step 12, I am instructed to change a value in the parameter binding area. In the create new parameter window, I don't have a binding area. The screen print in the user guide shows where this should be but for me it is blank.

Has anyone else tried to do this yet?

Here are the steps that I did:
To create a parameter with a cascading list of values
1. Open the sample report called Group.rpt.
Sample reports are located in the Crystal Reports directory under
\Samples\En\Reports.
2. On the View menu, click Field Explorer.
The Field Explorer dialog box appears.
3. Select Parameter Fields and click New.
The Create New Parameter dialog box appears.
4. Enter a name for the parameter in the Name field (up to 255
alphanumeric characters).
This example uses Supplier City.
5. In the List of Values area, click Dynamic.
6. Enter prompting text for your prompt group in the Prompt Group Text field.
7. Ensure that New is selected in the Choose a Data Source area.
Note: If your report already contains a list of values, or if you want to pick
a list of values from your repository, you can select Existing and choose
an existing list of values from the tree structure.
8. Click Insert.
The program automatically expands the Value list. You use this area to
define the fields that make up your cascading list of values. This example
uses a cascade of Country, Region, and City.
9. From the Value list, select Country.
10. Click the blank field under Country and select Region.
11. Click the blank field under Region and select City.
12. In the Parameter Binding area, click Country and Region to clear the
binding (only the field that is associated with the City value should be bound).
13. In the Prompt Text field (in the Options area), enter additional prompting text for each of the fields in your cascading list of values. This is the text that appears in the “Enter prompt values” dialog box when the report is refreshed.
14. Click OK.
15. Return to the Field Explorer dialog box, and drag the Supplier City parameter into your report.

The parameter binding area is the third column of the grid that is labeled 'Parameters'.

It is visible for every parameter that uses a dynamic list of values.

It allows for the case where you have a multi-level prompt, but don't need to use the values at all levels.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you. Thanks, Blair

The only columns that I can see in the parameter area is Value, Description, and Parameters. In the example graphic in the user guide, there are two columns I don't have sort and parameter bind.

Hope this helps,
Dave

The graphic is a little out of sync with the final product, but the gist of the message is the same - use the parameters column to bind parameters. Sort option have migrated down to the propery list at the bottom of the dialog.

Click in the parameter column of the dialog box to choose which level in your cascade to bind to.

Thanks, Blair

It works great. The picture in the user guide doesn't match the actually screen prompt, but it works none the less.

Thanks for all your help these last few days nitroedge!

I've been playing with this feature found that if I create the dynamic parameter from a db field then use it and run the report, the parameter only shows the first 1,000 values.
If I create it from a SQL command it'll show all values, at least the several thousand in my db.

It's probably a registry setting, however having a list of > 1000 choices in a pop up is ill advised anyway, that's a whole lotta choices to sift through, and that list is burning up a fair amount of memory.

A Range parameter might be better suited there.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back