Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal vs Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreman

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
US
Where can I get a good comparison of Crystal Reports vs Access. Whis is easier to utilize. What other options are out there for a simpal ODBC report writer???

Hi there. I read your question regarding Crystal Reports vs. Access. I'm not sure you can get a 'comparison' between these two as they are different types of programs (Access is a database program, Crystal is a data-access and report writer). I have worked with both and, for report writing, I much prefer Crystal Reports as it is extremely flexable offering report outputs in Word, Excel, HTML, Comma-delimited, PDF, etc. Access is a nice little database (although I hate what they did to it in Access 2000) and I often use it as a 'back-end' database to applications created with Visual Basic. Crystal Reports (Developer) gives you an Active X control you can add a to your program and provide reports to those users who do not have Crystal Reports which they can output to any of the formats mentioned above.

As far as ease of use goes, Crystal takes a little getting use to if you already know Access, but I find the whole Crystal package much more flexable. There is lots of support out there for this product as well.

As far as other report writers go, you can also look into 'Brio Reports', which is a powerful reporting tool from Brio Software. I am not familiar with others that may be out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back