Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal version 9 and url commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

candle1112

Programmer
Nov 1, 2002
US
Question: HOW DO YOU USE URLS COMMAND to easily put a report on an intranet to pass such things as username and password of logons?

We just purchased Crystal Reports 9 (we were using version 7) and I have upgraded a couple of my existing ASP apps to 9 using the RDC. HOWEVER, we have about 75 existing reports that use the Version 7 PAGE SERVER and we simply use http links with username and password passed through a url
ie:
This used to bring up the ActiveX viewer in version 7 which would nicely prompt for parameters and then display the report-- Made it really easy to put a report on our intranet.
HOWEVER, I can't find anyway to use these or any url commands either in crystal reports 9 or with Crystal Enterprise cd that comes with it.
IIS 5 (our web server) doesn't seem to recognize .rpt extenstion and asks if you want to download the file, which is no good.
I don't want to have to attach a ASP code page to each of these 75 existing reports.
Help!

Candle1112

I had this same problem, and after many attempts to get it to work I gave up and spoke to Crystal Decisions who politely informed me that although this method is still in the Version 9 documentation as a valid method, the functionality has been removed from the product.

I don't konow what anyone else in this forum thinks but IMHO the online documentation for the Version 9 release is at best very sketchy and sometimes absolutely useless with references methods and objects that are no longer valid in this release.

Gary Parker
Systems Support Analyst

Hi,

Not sure if you still need help on this, but we have been through exactly the same issue when upgrading from Crystal 7 to 9. After wasted several days trying to get it work, we had no choice but contact Crystal for support. Unfortunately, two of the support group members could not point us to the right direction until I contacted some one inside Crystal in the right area. This is what we were told:

There have been some changes from CR7 and cr9/CE9.

In CR7 Crystal included everything in the install for web reporting. Page Server/Image server. However in CR9, Crystal seperated the components. CR9 only comes with the Designer and development components. Crystal moved the web components over to another CD called Crystal Enterprise 9. Also Crystal created a new technology called RAS9 (Report Application Server)

Now if your fimiliar with URL report, then you will need to get Crystal Enterprise. With this product you can do your URL reporting. There are 2 versions of CE9, Standard and Professinal. For basic web report you could just use the Standard version.

Don't get Crystal Enterprise 9 mixed up with Crystal Enterprise Report Application Server 9(RAS9). RAS is a development SDK which runs stand alone or in conjuction with CE9.

Hope this is helpful to all those who fall into the same trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back