Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal runtime files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJC

Programmer
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity - errr .. well I admit, I’ve got some Crystal based woes at this end – I was just wondering if anybody could please confirm the minimum DLL’s needed to view a Crystal Report (on screen).

I don’t need to worry about MDAC (installed) or any exporting or charting functionality within Crystal – I just need to open a report (based around ADO) and view the details on screen.

Don’t know if anybody else has experienced this – but I’ve installed everything that the associated crystal documentation lists – used dependency walker - and yep, it works on two PC’s (they didn’t have crystal installed in any shape or form) .. but the third .. it seems to defy any attempt to open a report.

Is there a minimum spec to cope with these DLL’s at all ? The target machine is a P133 – which I would have thought would be fast enough (the data is from a test database and is pretty small).

Any thoughts or insights would be gratefully received !

Jon

It depends on which integration method you are using in your application, there are 4 different techniques.

Are you saying that you have all of the files listed in developers help file, with there dependent files, and all are registered correctly?

Anything different on this PC? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Hi,

Thanks for the response - it's a VB based app, centered around ADO, I'm binding to a set of 'un-bound' reports. I'm distributing it via Install Shield.

Actually since posting - I attempted another re-install and was informed that CRAXDRT.dll couldn't be registered - which is a little odd since, as I say, the same package did go well on two other PCs.

It seems to - just to my eye - that I'm getting variable results with the same install package. The only thing that is different on this PC is its age - and perhaps memory, I think its a 32 meg setup (but as said, the data is small)

Anyway many thanks for the reply, I'll have another go tomorrow and it may be a case of just accepting that it won't (for whatever reason) install on this one PC. Which is an irritation I admit !

Regards,

Jon

Have you checked the version of atl.dll on the problem machine? I've seen a similar error when a machine had a more recent version of atl.dll than on my development machine (the newer version would not normally be replaced during installation). Replacing the newer (but buggy) version on the problem machine solved my problem. I removed it by unregistering it, renaming it to atldll.old, replacing it with the version from my development machine, and registering that version. Good luck.

I'm having the same problem, except I can never quite get an install to work. I'm using RCAPI and I've talked to Crystal and have all the files they say you need on my install. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everybody for the replies and help. I've managed to get the thing working - only (you know what's coming next I'm sure) it seems that the same package installed correctly - without modifications (my head hurts :)

This is after several install - re-install cycles, its finally clicked. Normally I like to make sure that I get at least two 'clean installs' before shipping - but in this case I don't think I'm going to tempt fate !

Many thanks again,

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back